Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

M3D in R500

The MBE and M3D are both good units and should be programmable by the user, it may be worth doing some subtle re-mapping, but even though I am an M3D fan I'd say the facilities it offers would not be worth paying out for since they are already there in the MBE. It's worth enquiring on the price of the software for the MBE..

Oily

Thing is I've got a new M3D in the existing motor, still having the VHPD's original mems I could swap them before selling the car.

I believe the wiring loom needs changing to suit the M3D on the R500.

Is it worth the effort after Caterham/Minister have spent ages tweaking already?

Andy Marks

VHPD7@aol.com

Thing is I've got a new M3D in the existing motor, still having the VHPD's original mems I could swap them before selling the car.

I believe the wiring loom needs changing to suit the M3D on the R500.

Is it worth the effort after Caterham/Minister have spent ages tweaking already?

Andy Marks

VHPD7@aol.com

I wouldn't bother.

Your warranty will be knackered and on R500s it's worth keeping that fully kosher (because of their value rather than reliability necessarily).

The gains are surely going to be minimal and I would have thought you could have problems at emissions time if you keep it 3yrs...

That said, didn't Jason Krebs fit an Emerald to his R500 race car?

Depends which MBE unit,the R500 one is much simpler than an Emerald in many respects although MBE units do range up to £2500 ballpark, fly by wire, traction control, yadda yadda blah grumble ... mines bigger better and faster than yours ... here we go again!

If you put the Emerald into the SLR500 make sure its connected to a Duratec engine and not a Rover one. (If I keep mentioning it I'm sure someone will build one call it R600 maybe?)

BC

Oily,

MBE Systems have the UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE as a client and having personally sold to the DOD they take no crap and test everything to a level of destruction F1 could only dream about.

I guess they therefore have a slightly higher R&D budget than Emerald and R&D budget is normally of direct proportion to product quality in low volume production projects.

Just a hunch though, and to be truthful if the Emererald were in a more expensive looking case I'd be convinced. The R500 ECU is from MBE's bargain basement range anyway. The 956 is a much better design (though it sports fewer features)

Oh and I was winding you up anyway........

Anyone for an Amstrad VS Naim session???

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>