Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fireblade Gear Linkage

kand300

The previous owner of my Fireblade has swapped the gear shift around so that to change up you push forwards and to change down you pull back. Has anyone a picture of the linkage so that I can double check what I am doing before I change it back to normal.

Thanks,

Harrie

There are some pics on my webshots, not sure if the gear linkage is on there tho? are you sure you havent got a racing shift drum fitted to ur transmission? when Russell ( of RSTV8 fame) rebuilt my transmission, he asked me if i wanted a reverse racing shift drum fitted, the main reason was the cam profile on the star cam on the end of the drum, had a more aggressive step and is far less likly to 'jump' out of gear and engage more positivly. I liked the sound of it untill he explained the gear shifting would be in reverse, for some reason most motorcycle racers perfere to shift up by pressing down and down shift up pulling up *confused* I looked at my gear linkage and could see no easy way of changing the pivot or the direction of travel, so after having the car for nearly two years and so used to pull back for upshift, I decided to stick with a standard shift drum, Could you imagine going full chat and forgetting yourself and changing down instead of up! *eek*. anyway your linkage maybe different to mine. I hope you get it sorted. You could always check what way the selector shaft on the enighe is being turned to establish if you have a standard shift drum or not.

'Pinky Pics' here

I've not seen the gear stick on a JW-Blade, but it may have pick-ups for the rod (that connects it to the pivot in the engine bay) both above & below the pivot-point - this would offer an easy adjustment of the 2 styles of shifting, without touching the main pivot gubbins.

Thank you for picture link. Still confused though. It is the long vertical linkage that looks like it is the wrong way round. This linkage on mine is bent towards passenger side of the car. Is this correct?

Harrie

The only thing that makes sense is reversing the position of the bar on the gear shift input to the engine. In the standard set up the bar points to the right hand side of the car and this will give the 'normal' operation. If this is changed to point to the left (as BR suggests) the operation will be reversed. If as Harrie says the long drop link is over to the left (passenger side) then this should account for the change.

It should only be a 10 min. job to change it back!

matt

Life begins at 10,000 *cool*