Click here if you are having website access problems ×

again, broken clutch cable

Phil

Less than 500 miles, not happy, I must be doing something wrong.

How do you adjust the cable up please?

I think this maybe the problem but at £35 plus Value Added Tax I want to get it right.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

• Leadership Team

Phil - I had this wnhen I first had my Xflow. I found that the nipple was not properlty greased where it is connected to the pedal so that instead of pivoting, the cable bent. I had 2 go in as manty months. Since putting a bit of grease on every year, I've not had one go in 7 years...

Regards - Michael.

Sounds good to me, I have the bolt going through slack so as not to pinch the banjo style end and bend the cable each time, a little grease should help, Thanks.

Any more ideas?

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

Make sure that the cable is coming straight out of the sheath as it goes towards teh top of the clutch pedal.

I have seen a couple of cars with washers/spacers placed by the pivot bolt to reposition the clutch pedal . This can result in the cable not being pulled straight out of the sheath (and cause wear).

Worth a check,

Dave

I went a little overboard as I too have the simple pedal where you can pinch the banjo.

I have a bolt with

Washer

Pedal top

washer

Cable

Washer

Nut

Nyloc

The nut and nyloc together allow you to have it tight enough not to rattle and loose enough to rotate freely.

Phil,

I have a 1990 X flow and in the first few years had 5 clutch cables break. I then took the pedal out and made up a little bracket that I had welded on so that the business end of the pedal was then a proper yoke with support for the pin on both sides. (I also changed to a pin and clip rather than a bolt. Since then I've not had one break in 35,000 miles. (Though I did change one that went stiff.)

Ian

Phil - I had this problem also. It turned out I had the wrong clutch pedal as mine is a de dion car, but it had the pedal from a live axle car which when operated, pulled the cable over at an angle rather than pulling it straight out of the clutch cable ferrule. I tried a fix, using an offset bolt, but the bolt kept breaking/bending. The correct pedal has an offset bracket at its top end so that it pulls the cable in a straight line out of its sheathing, no more breakages after that. 😬 p.s remember to use a split pin to secure the cable clevis pin and not the p clips used on earlier cars, this goes for the brake pedal as well.