Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.8supersport or VVC

singlespeeder

The 1.8 SS (140BHP) engine is popular although Caterham charge about £5000 for them. They can be dry sumped which allows the car to sit lower which has some handling looks benefits. They are pretty quick and a good comprimise for a fast road car.

The 1.8 VVC (150 to 160BHP depending on exact spec) is even more expensive from Caterham. If you can afford to buy it from them I'd also consider the 190BHP VHPD engine. You can outsource a VVC engine easily for £800 to £1500 pounds and save a wad for future upgrades or other options on the car. The problem with VVC's is that they can't be dry sumped for various reasons, which restricts the handling layout a little as they cant sit so low.

Many people say that 160BHP is a nice amount of power for the road as you can stay on the gas for quite a while without getting to lunatic speeds, a VHPD or R500 will go supersonic if you hit the gas pedal for more than 3 or 4 seconds.

The VVC engine also makes a good starting point for serious power tuning, they can be converted to 200BHP+ spec easier than the std or SS engine due to their big valve heads. If you plan to tinker with your car this may be a plus point.

Cheers

BC

I have a VVC at the moment and am very happy with it however i think you need to consider what you plan to use the car for, we do a lot of long drives as well as having a blat, the 5speed box we have is OK for this, with 2nd good for 70 when you want a fast overtake (is there any other way).

Some people i have talked to would suggest that the 6 speed box works well with the vvc, so you can add that to the decision making list,

You might find some of the discussion on the Topic "Superchips ICON & VVC" of interest, By the way don't forget that Turbo Technics can super charge it for £5k!! and it will then make 215bhp (so they say), has anyone done this yet?

Mark Bennett

I dont know the price differential between a 1.8 and a VVC but if it is significant I'd go for the 1.8. Your tuning options are wide and varied and if you want a big valve head you can go for a secondhand VVC head for about £350, if you are serious about big horse power numbers you can get over 200BHP/160ft/lb from the stock head , over 210 and you'll need a VVC head converted to solid cams.

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 6 Feb 2002 21:09:47