Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Front Shocker lower mount??

Petrolhead

Has anyone had difficultry with the lower shocker allen headed bolt *mad*

The drivers side is soooooooooo tights that if I try I will either nap somit, damage the inner.

And they are a 7/32" Allen key - WTF, I though we went metric years ago!!!!!

Bloody stupid design if you ask me *mad*

NE7Club Web Site

R5 no 65 😬 *cool*

Must remember to tick the checkbox for email notifications

Edited by - petrolhead on 6 Jun 2006 22:30:21

Been there, done that and written the book (copy available in the archives) 😬

The best bit of advice I can give you is buy a good quality socket type allen key BEFORE you round off the hex in the bolt head and use loads of penatrating oil.

Last resort (from experience!) is to take the wishbone/shock assy out, put it in a vice and use heat.

Good luck,

Bruce.

John - 7/32" is pretty close to 5.5mm (5.55mm actually) - you might have got it out with one of them - or if worn, a 6mm...

If the bolt is seized/stiff, a 5.5mm key will swiftly bugger it though...

Just to add to the warnings, my efforts to remove one already-rounded bolt resulted (after the drilling and then hacksaw methods in me having to ask Bruce at Arch if he could replace the boss...

If you get it out, buy a new bolt. Bruce seemed to think that they'd changed the hardness of the bolt at some point along the way (from soft towards harder steel).

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Heat will ease it as will putting a socket allen key in and giving it a sharp tap (or taps if required).

ed to ad that heat may/will burn the powder coating.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

Edited by - nverona on 7 Jun 2006 09:44:35

Yes but that isn't the damper lower mount is it?

yes exactly - the bearing that pushes the push rod that pushes the damper is through the lower damper bolt *thumbup* where else is the pushrod going to lever from ?? *confused*

look here

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 8 Jun 2006 07:41:35

Pure semantics old chap. The title of the thread says 'Front Shocker lower mount' and you referred to the spherical joint on the wishbone so I was merely pointing out that using the Freestyle setup, the damper lower mount does not connect directly to the wishbone. The damper connects to the rocker arm which in turn connects to the upper pushrod spherical joint and only then via the pushrod does it connect to the lower wishbone and spherical joint.

'Twas all old bean. *cool*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 8 Jun 2006 08:13:59

We, got it out.

It took a load of heat and the very end of the bolt sheared off inside the threaded bit *mad*

Then I discovered Caterham have sent the wrong bolts, too short. They have sent the ones for the std wishbobe and not the aerofoil one - nupties! *mad*

So we have managed to drill and tapout the bit left and all is fine. Having to use the prigional bolts until the new ones arive next week

Cheers for the advice