Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Pierburg widget

Andrew_Bailey

I wonder if anyone can help me identify the function of what appears to be an in-line valve or filter of some sort. It sits on the line between the fuel tank and the fuel line into the engine. It is made by Pierburg is quite small and looks as though it may be a non-return or pressure valve. I can blow through it both ways, so I am not sure that it can be a non-return valve unless it is not functining properly. I have called Caterham and they seem to have no idea. Anyone out there able to shed some light on what this gizmo may be. confused.gif

The only things I would expect to find between the fuel tank and the engine are either a pump (big!), a filter or a fuel pressure regulator.

Do you have carbs or fuel injection? If injection then do you have the in tank pump or an external pump. Is the widget before or after the pump? If carbs then do you have an electric pump or the engine driven pump? If electric then which pump and is the widget before or after the pump?

You would be able to blow both ways thro a filter or forwards thro a regulator (provided you didn't blow at more than 3 psi or so). Not sure if you could blow back thro a pressure regulator, suspect not.

Andrew.

I have a small valve 'apparatus' fitted to the fuel tank, but this goes in-line with the tank overflow pipe. Its purpose is to allow the tank to vent fumes/induct air but to stop fuel slopping overboard with a full tank and fast cornering. Has yours just been fitted in the wrong place?

Mine is a cream colour hard plastic device with an ali sealing band around the centre,inlet and outlet nipples with barb rings (ooh err missus) and a direction arrow moulded into the side.

PS. this device was supplied via Caterham!

Chris and Chelspeed,

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond. I think that with help and a bit of grovelling under the car to work out exactly where this fuel line goes, I should be able to solve this problem. I doubt that the device is on the tank vent pipe as it appears to run along the transmission tunnel towards the engine bay. I will take agood look this weekend and ask for your advice once I can furnish you with more information about the fuel line involved.

Some Vauxhalls have a small unit in the pressure side of the fuel line between the pump and the fuel rail to remove pressure pulses from the fuel. It looks like a flat metal tin wil a pipe each side.

Hope this helps.

Paul.

The master of OVERKILL!

Thanks to all of you who have taken the trouble to respond. With a lot of crawling under the car with a torch I am pretty sure that the gizmo in question is actually on the vent pipe for the tank, so I think that Chris was right when he described a similar device on his car. Anyway, having already spent hours on the phone trying to locate a replacement I gave up and repaired the thingy using multiple layers of slow setting epoxy. Given that I am pretty sure that this line does not normally have fuel running through it i decided that this would be OK until I find an exact replacement. Car seems to run OK so I expect that in a few months I will have forgotten the whole thing. Thanks again for your usual prompt and helpful postings.