Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

calling big power BD motor owners

N Blandin

A friend of mine has just bought a 230BHP 2 litre BDG car and the clutch is hugely heavy (like an old Multi-power massey tractor) It is a twin plate jobbie for hill climbing on wide slicks.

On the road it obviously does not need such a strong unit as it will spin out the extra power.

Just wondering, what do you guys use?

Hi Nigel

Well its 30bhp more than mine but my car has the same as the R500 its a formula ford clutch if that's any help.

Pass on the part numbers but I could look for the receipts from a couple of years back I will still have them.

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

hi nigel,

if this is 71/4inch

you can get several poundage A.P. clutch covers, i use a steel orange one still heavy.

you realy need to know what is fitted now, otherwise how can you choose a lighter one.

can he not find out the spec. he has now from previous owner.

richard.

Try fitting a slightly smaller bore master cylinder, this will give a longer, easier pedal action.

Did this on my car, it's a tiny reduction in size down to a 15MM bore but it made a huge difference.

It does mean using a remote resevoir mounted on the bulkhead but that's not a big problem.

Mike.

I have a twin plate AP 7.25" unit. Although at the moment it's running on a single plate due to the twins stripping the splines. I have 2 AP centre plates which have harder centres to go back in when I next remove engine.

Operated by centrifugal hydraulic slave.

It does need the twin plates if you're going to put all the power down and high rev change ups. The single plate slips at 7000 rpm + change ups although it catches up in a few seconds.

I would suggest keeping the twin plate and get used to it.

I never hold the car on the clutch but select gear when ready to move off. After a bit of practice you can usually pullaway smoothly without stalling (well most of the time).

Having a pedal stop and getting the adjustment correct so that the pedal only has an 1" movement helps a lot.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

Thanks guys, I will let Jamie know. You know he has heard me bang on about 7's for 15 years , bought one in Feb, bought the BDG this week and now his dad is buying one too! They are addictive!!

PS, We are off to Loheac next Wednesday 14th, do you fancy coming up Norman? I get lunch

"After a bit of practice you can usually pullaway smoothly without stalling (well most of the time)"

Except when your starter's gone and you're in stop start traffic on the A1(M) on the way back from Barnet *tongue* 😳

Only joking, it was good exercise and going through the Hatfield tunnel in 3rd at over 8000rpm more than made up for it 😬

Joe *cool*

Edited by - joseph on 6 Jun 2006 21:29:46

Hi Nigel

Forget my previous posting mine let go at the weekend. Its the second in 10,000 miles the first I put down to spinning the wheels at sprints bit I stopped doing that thinking it was the cause.

I will start a separate thread so no replys fere please but nverona I would be interested in your comments 😬 *thumbup*

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.