Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What ride height..??

martinwhitcher

Martin ,

75mm under the sump is fine , it all depends if this will bottom out on your favourite bit of road . The rear could then be set 15mm higher . measured from the chassis rail just ahead of the LHS engine mount and the chassis just ahead of the LHS rear arch .

Suck it and see realy ... depends on how you like your car set up , springs , arb's , weight of passengers , purpose of car ,etc etc

Dave

Word of warning ..... if you try and run with 50mm under the sump you will soon have 55mm - as the sump bottoms out on anything other than a race track as you are pushing on , and you grind it away big time .

Been there done that - replacement dry sump pan = £££££

My rule of thumb is a low as possible without bottomimg on your favourite road .

this happens to be 70mm for me .

Dave

FYI I have just had my car FFloored at caterham

I have 13 inch with 185 60 rubber, and clearnace under the car (dry sump) was set to 70mm. Only driven the car in a typhoon (well it felt like it) since so not sure what difference to handling yet.

hope this helps

I entirely concur that lowering to the point where the sump hits the deck frequently is pointless.

There is another point to do with bumpstops. If you go lower, you might find the car riding prematurely on its bumpstops. A good rule of thumb on widetrack is 10mm of damper travel until the bumpstop comes into play.

If the back end is twitchy the chances are it is too high. Try lowering it a couple of turns independent of any other changes.