Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Shelsey Walsh Entries

Mark Durrant

Firstly, the MAC have been overwhelmed by the number of entries received from our club and we have set a new record for the most oversubscribed class.

Initially, the MAC intended to allocate our championship 20 places but in view of the number of entries they have increased this to 25. However, even with the increase in the number of places this still leaves a large number of competitors without an entry. The MAC have therefore kindly offered an invitation to the MAC Members event on 15 July to those of you who have already entered and are unsuccessful in obtaining an entry to the event on 1 July. To enable this to happen they are even going to the trouble of upgrading the event permit to a National B. Now I realise that this clashes with Longcross 2 but it will provide you with an opportunity to drive this historic hill where entries are always difficult to come by. However, please note that the event on 15 July will not count as a Championship round as it is not included in our championship regulations that have been submitted to the MSA.

Now to the difficult decision on who gets an entry on 1 July. I have given this some serious thought over the past couple of weeks and I realise that whatever I decide some people are going to be bitterly disappointed but I suppose that comes with the role. Anyway here is my decision and the reasoning behind it:

I have decided to use the results from the current season and last year’s championship to determine who should have an entry.

1. Whilst our championship is about having fun it is also about motorsport and therefore I have let the driver’s performance dictate the entry list. The only exception is Geoff Dixon who won an entry to this event when attending the MAC driving school at Curborough.

2. We need to put on a show for the MAC as the events at Shelsey Walsh attract a large number of spectators, the top drivers will help us to achieve this objective.

3. By having the top drivers in each class present it will ensure good competition with no 'easy' championship points on offer.

The drivers who will receive final instructions for the event on 1 July are as follows:

Class 1

Charles Fitzhugh, Matt Jenkins, Andrew Jenkins

Class 2

Richard Price, Mike Sankey, Dan Malkin, Andy Nicholls, Roger Cumming

Class 3

David Nelson, Adrian Williams, Rob Margel, Dave McFarlane, Jeff Smith, Geoff Dixon

Class 4

Ken Evans, Richard Anderson, Gavin Craig, Mark Durrant

Class 5

Dave Jackson, Andy Griffiths, Simon Rogers, Darrell South

Class 6

Brodie Branch, Jeremy Clarke, Darren Luke

I think for the future of the championship it is important that we build good relationships with clubs such as the MAC and I believe that the above approach will help us in achieving this and hopefully this will lead to an increase in the number places we are offered in future seasons.

I realise this will disappoint many of you but we should remember that no one is guaranteed an entry to any event but as we have 14 rounds in the championship there is ample opportunity for people to compete in 7 rounds.

Therefore the following people are eligible to compete on 15th July and to minimise the administration I have agreed to supply the MAC with a list of people who wish to participate by Friday 16 June;

Graham Lyall, Patricia Herring, Stephen Herring, Shaun Elwell, Graeme Smith, Gordon Hodgkinson, Bill Ayre, Malcolm Hickey, Derek Read, Michael Molloy, Robin Brackett, Robert Spencer, Nigel Fox, Martin Sergeant, Graham Howard, Martin Bushaway, Paul Collins, Tony Robinson, Grahame Wardall, Chris Moore, Stephen Gatward, Chris Williams, Colin Heseltine, Kaspar McFarlane, Simon Lambert, Roger Burns, David Miller, Darrell South, Lindsay Mercer, Richard Hudson-Evans, Dave Warren, Neil Cavanagh, Simon Harland, Michael Head, Martin Fretwell

If you wish to enter this event please either post on here or drop me an email to mark (dot) durrant (at) lotus7club.com and I will add you to the list that will be passed to the MAC. Please do not contact the MAC direct.

Finally I have agreed with the MAC that no further entries will be accepted for either event.

I hope you understand the reasoning behind my decision, even if you do not agree with it and I would ask that we keep the debate on here constructive. If you have any strong feelings on the matter please either drop me an email or speak to me in person.

Thank you for your understanding and I look forward to your continued support.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

Edited by - mark durrant on 8 Jun 2006 06:23:57

Mark

Good call in the circumstances, it was always going to be difficult and as an MAC member I even to struggle to get into some of their events.

I would add that this is a great spectating opportunity and it would be great if lots of the competitors who didn't get an entry turned up to support those that did *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

(PS I've alread applied for a place on the 15th anyway as its an MAC members day)

Graham

*smile*Lotus 7 Club General Secretary *smile*

Edited by - Bacon Butty on 4 Jun 2006 08:36:48

If it helps - I entered the Shelsey event under the Midland Speed Championship (for which I am also registered) thus enabling an "extra" place on the club entry allocation for another member *wink* *cool*.

I guess the finals will confirm if I have a place in the Midland SC or the L7SC 🤔 *smile*

Dave

here is C7 TOP

South Wales AO *thumbup*

Difficult one and very much appreciated.

Your reasoning is sound and other than entries out of the hat is the only one that can be applied.

I would add that if someone is so extremely put out by being left out that it causes problem I will give up my place.

Disappointed of course, but you're in a difficult position and have applied sound reasoning. Couldn't see any other decision being better for the championship to be honest, and would not like to have seen those that invest the most time and money disappointed. I will be there to watch those lucky few bastards *smile* of course, look forward to it.

Thanks for fighting the corner for us amateurs though - you can definitely put me down for the 15th July please! Do I need to join the MAC or is my L7C licence good enough? And are you doing all the admin - ie I don't need to fill any more forms out?

Cheers,

Chris (Williams)

Edited by - Chris__ on 4 Jun 2006 17:27:49

Mark...........

Only decision you could have made given the circumstances.Naturally am disappointed and need to enter Longcross on the 15th so i will miss out this Year on shelsey.

Just need to make sure i am doing better next year in the event of the same situation arising

Robin

Yellow and Carbon cycle wings dodging the horses in the New Forest

No to 15th as I will be at Longcross.

I know there is no one solution that suits all, but I'm sure a few of the novices are feeling hard done by. Even those who are doing well in this years events had zero chance under these rules of getting in, as they had no 'prior experience' to help them.

In future how about allocating 1 or 2 places for the top novices??? after all, they are the future of the championship!!

Hi Mark

YHM

Sorry but I can not make the 15th June ☹️

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Opps

Its the 15th July I can not make (must engage Brain when typing) 😳

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Mark,

Fully support the reasoning. To be honest It would feel wrong to me if I was to get a place and somebody challenging for the class missed out and lost the ability to gain points.

As for the 15th. I'd like to do it if there is room

Derek

Not trying to scare anyone but we have a really strict Clerk of the Course on the 1st July

Its my brother Brian (you have been warned) 😬 😬 😬 😬

Graham

*smile*Lotus 7 Club General Secretary *smile*

Thanks Graham!! - what can I say?

In the interests of fair play if there are any situations where it could be construed that there is a conflict of interest I will be asking my Dep CofC to resolve them for me. I am confident we will not have problems however as I know how well behaved you guys are.

To answer an earlier question - those accepted will get 2 spectator passes and a 'competitor' label for the competition car. Essentially this should provide everyone with the ability to provide entry for one person in addition to the competitor. So I leave it up to you guys to distribute your spare spectator passes around.

Shelsley Walsh is a superb scenic venue for spectators - so all of those disappointed with not getting an entry can still have a great day supporting those that have - and see other cars too.

Closer to the event I will post a complete set of do's and don'ts for Shelsley but here are a few to be to be going on with:

- You MUST walk the hill. It is seriously steep and takes a long time. Motto - be there fit and early!!

- You MUST have Three (3) sets of numbers. An extra set is needed on the front (either centre or near side) for Course Control/Timekeepers to view. The front set can be smaller.

Hope this helps,

Brian