Click here if you are having website access problems ×

seats

oxo

Does anyone have recommendations for racing seats to fit a Y2000 live axle Graduate car.

What are Tillets? Are these supplied only by Caterham?

Karting seats. Any views?

Would standard S type seats be sufficient?

Thanks in advance

Martin

As far as I know, the Tillet seats are the kevlar jobbies used in the R500. These are light and expensive. Arnie made a comment once that they may actually have fiberglass bottoms, which sort of knackers the "kevlar" bit - apparantly someone in France (I think) makes a pure kevlar one but they are dear.

Caterham do a composite (read f glass) seat, low backed and std in the std SL - quite light but looks rubbish IMHO.

From my experience of being a passenger, the leather seats are pretty supportive and very comfortable, the Tillet's very supportive and pretty comfortable.

It's one of those impossible Caterham balancing acts again!!!!!

Also, I've just asked on another thread but I'd love to know the weight difference between a pair of tillets and a pair of leather Caterham seats...

8JU

Martin

I decided to make a moulded foam seat for my car.

I had reckoned on a significant weight saving however the adjustable seat weighs 6kg - less than I had anticipated. I'm not sure what teh Tillet seat weighs.

At the second attempt I did manage to mould a foam seat wiothout any major disasters (see another thread on foam bag seats for horror stories), however on using it I found that the lowered driving position is such that the FIA bar obscures rear vision, and visibility all around didn't seem as good as when I was a couple of inches higher.

I have bolted the adjustable seat back, and will use the less beer and cakes approach to weight saving and improved fit in the seat!

Jonathan

Tillet I believe started out making seats for Karts & general racing applications. They now manufacture Carbon Kevlar seats for Caterham & I think probably the glass fibre ones as well.(There is a high back version)

The seats are branded Caterham & Tillet have an exclusive trading agreement with Caterham so can't sell seats direct. The Kevlar ones are V expensive (Circa £500 each) There is a guy in Germany that will let you spend even more on vac formed carbon seats if you want!

Can't comment on how comfortable they are coz I'm still waiting for my sliders so I can fix them properly.

The carbon fibre and fibreglass Tillet seats look almost identical. The CF ones have some extra piping around the slots for the harnesses. They weigh very little and I've heard that there isn't much difference between the CF and fibreglass versions.

They can both be painted to which is nice, the fibreglass ones are susceptable to getting scratched which is noticeable on their black gloss finish. Mine are really comfy to sit in and increase the cockpit space noticeably. I've driven for several hours on holiday with no complaints, others who ride in the car agree.

BC

Proper race seats are worth lots of time on a lap. Just being held properly makes you faster and gives you more feedback for where the chassis is gripping or not.

I don't think the low-backed Caterham composite seats are available any more. They were only suitable to small people. Arnie made Carbon copies that were a bit wider and are very comfortable; again they are not available any more. The Tillet seats are exclusively available through Caterham and mount on standard runners or are bolted in a fixed position. They seem to be the best easyfit option - the carbon/kevlar ones are obviously more expensive but will probably take a bit more abuse. Oxted trimming used to be able to come up with fantastically comfy seats on a one off basis.

I know of a kit car owner who has mounted a Tillet kart seat in his car. The mountings are a bit esoteric, and karts do not traditionally have harnesses so you have to plan your implementation.

I have a pair of glassfibre seats in my seven that were purchased from Hyperion, pretty basic but cheap and effective (as Peter says worth plenty of lap time) and after I spent £20 per seat having them covered in vinyl they look OK and comply with sprint and hillclimb regs for upholstered seats. They are not adjustable but that means only I can drive the car.

Paul

Jonathon,

Can you point me to your thread about moulded seats. I am quite happy to use bench seats for road driving, however I want to do the "odd" sprint/hillclimb and whilst my 6'2" 15 stone frame sits in the car OK, my body is quite long and my head with helmet on arrives at the same height as the FIA roll bar.

I have looked at the idea of a welded hoop on the rollbar but this will IMHO reduce the value/look of the car, however it seems to me I can gain the necessary inches by mounting the seat right on the floor and was looking for some form of foam seat that I could fit for track days/sprints etc and remove the rest of the time for more normal driving.

Your experience would be helpful.

Andy G

Firstly, I bought my car last weekend with a certain amount of background knowledge but lacking definitive answers regarding spec / set ups. I posted a genuine but simple question and received advice from experienced owners that would have taken months to work out. It is the enthusiasm of you guys for these cars that "forced" me to buy one in the first place.

I will look for a seat that limits movement / reduces lap times and keep you posted.

Martin

Mark

The local (Midlands) regs state "the front seats may be changed for upholstered competition versions", other regs state not bare glassfibre (no mention of kevlar or carbon!). Your standard seat would comply but you would be far better getting a competition seat.

Paul

Andy G

The thread is called 'Techniques for making a foam bag Seat' and last post was 2 Jan 2002 12:28.

The advice was very useful.

I bought 2 litres of mix, which was enough for a trial run and to make one seat. The cold weather meant that the reaction took some time (despite warming the cans of chemical) If I tried again I wait for a warm day.

At 6'2 you won't have the visibility problems I had.

Jonathan

Tillett, makers of the R500 seat do another car seat that is basically a low back version of the R500 seat, with belt cut outs etc. I think the are about one 130/150 notes covered. Range is called Westf1eld, and I got my direct. So you should be okay. I havn't fitted in a seven, but I'm sure it will.

You will need to come up with an answer for mounts of some form though.

Hi,

here is the German guy that does some nice carbon seats.

http://www.mog-racing.de

The site is in german but navigate to "Carbon" then "Sitze" and you will get some pictures and prices.

The seat can be mounted to the original Caterham adjuster rails.

I have ordered one and I will let you know when it arrives.

Cheers

Klaus

i fitted on eof the alternative Tilet seats into my Westie - after failing to persuade them to sell me any Caterham style seconds. Had seat partially trimmed, leaving base clear so it if rained it wiped dry - bolted thro sides and back at an angle. Had to trim it a touch so I and the seat would fit in the car. Very comfy - drove to Le Mans with L7 club last year with it and very good location for sprinting etc.

Have yet to try fitting it in Caterham.

Bri

Klaus

Be very interested in your views on this product, especially how it compares to the Caterham tillet based on would it accomodate my 6ft 4 15 stone frame more comfortably, give extra space over the caterham product?

Jon b

Jon,

I have heared that the Mog seat has the seat runners embedded in the carbon shell rather than just a bolt on job like on the Tillet/Caterham ones. This would allow the seat to be even lower in the car.

Once I have mine, I will post some comments and pictures about it....

Klaus

I've found it difficult getting in touch with the guy at mog - if he does the aero screen jobbie too.

As for 6'4" and 15st, well I'm not sure Tillets etc are the answer. I'm 100% sure you'd be better off with no seat and a race stylee foam job.

Tillets put me (6'4" and a trim 16st) too high and too far forward (even just plopped in the footwell) - and that's when I can slide my fat arse into them.

Klaus,

I'll also be very interested to hear how you get on with the MOG seats, if they are as good as they look then I may well order some carbon from the guy.

He also sells nose cones (carbon) for £299! cycle wings £75!

Andy,

If you are thinking of the carbon wrap around screen thingy that has aerodynamic covers over the wiper stubs etc then that's a different guy, MOG doesn't have an aero screen on his site.

Mike