Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

HOLTS RAD-FLUSH

Guy Lowe

I've only once used a rad flushing fluid. The result was a leaking water pump *eek*. Must have shifted all the gunge that was preventing it leaking.

Admittedly this was on an aged Volvo 440.

Steve.

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

If it's at all possible to NOT use this stuff then that's what to do.

It's a real coolling system weakness finder, so if there's anything slighty iffy, it'll be nadgered after you run this stuff through the engine, that's why it recommends Rad Weld, another sure fire way of stuffing the cooling system.

If you want the rad flushed why not take it out of the car and into a rad shop for a hot caustic wash, may still end up with a leak or two, but will be in the right place for proper sealing.

I used some a long time ago, and it stuffed the cylinder head gasket, never used it since.

Just my tuppence worth.

Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

But surely that is only highlighting a problem just a bit sooner than it would otherwise have been noticed so provided you are aware of that where's the problem 🤔 *confused*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

OK perhaps I am going about this the wrong way.

For the past 2 years I have been running my X Flow without anti-freeze or coolant additive (don’t ask me why I just couldn’t be 🙆🏻d). Well I went to change a bottom hose last weekend and noticed a lot of brown sludge, so I thought I would flush out the system and refill and add some anti-freeze.

Has anyone got any other suggestions, like drain/refill/run a couple of times or just refill it, add some anti-freeze and forget it or simply just leave it alone and save on the cost of anti-freeze?

Sensible suggestions only from the anti X Flow brigade please *smile*

From Clam shells to Cycle wings for only 3K *eek* *eek* *eek* here

IT'S MANGO AND THAT'S THE END OF THE MATTER

Not a member of the Xflow brigade but I would think that running just water is asking for trouble with corrosion. I would change to a water/coolant mix then change it again after a couple of hundred miles.

Advise from the K brigade 😬

Steve.

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

I thought you were joking when you said you didn't put any coolant additive in *eek* *eek* *eek* Without it I'm not surprised you have corrosion and brown sludge at the bottom of the rad.

You're a complete tight 🙆🏻 Mr Lowe and a disgrace to 'Burger Van' operatives everywhere. In fact, I'm ashamed to admit that I know you now *wink*

Brent

R 417.39 😬

Or Try the flushing with water and re-filling a couple of times

If your temperatures are OK then you have effectivly got away with it. *wink*

If the amount of gunk blocking the flow and heat transfer is affecting the heat transfer causing overheating then you need to clean it *thumbdown*- this may remove some corrosion that was keeping your system watertight. *thumbdown* *thumbdown*

Nick

I have used Radflush type preparations in the past to good effect so personally I would go with that and ignore the doom mongers *wink* but then flush thoroughly with fresh water (from the water butt of course 😬) and then refill with a proper coolant mix. (you tight 🙆🏻) *wink* 😬

Brent

R 417.39 😬

Thanks for all your advice, the temperatures are fine and no leaks (yet). I am going to use a rad flush NOT HOLTS but Wynns as I have been told this is less agressive and best when the build up is soft and not been allowed to harden ie block/rad left empty, then flush with(LOTS) of fresh water, refill & put in anti freeze, put some miles on it localy whilst keeping a close eye for leaks, temp etc. then in a couple weeks change the water and anti freeze again giving it another fresh water flush.

Guy

P.s. Anyone know the part number of the Ford water pump just in case 😬

From Clam shells to Cycle wings for only 3K *eek* *eek* *eek* here

IT'S MANGO AND THAT'S THE END OF THE MATTER

Edited by - Guy Lowe on 2 Jun 2006 13:24:39