Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Long 4-1 or 4-2-1 Exhaust

David Lynch

Tentative at this stage (as don't know whether afford to do it, whether I can afford not to is another thing) but plenty of you upgrading to Powerspeed *thumbup* so might find something to fit my budget. Please Blatmail me offline with what you have, condition price and expected date of availability. Car is 1995 1.4K SS so anything K will fit, no Cat requried 😬

I currently have K series with the the (1, 2-3, 4) long primaires into external 4-1 collector. Always had a problem with sealing on Primaries 1,2 to extent of cleaning block and having primaries refaced flat but still evidence of passing *mad* and cooking Alternator.

I would consider a new Primary 1 right through to a 4-2-1 system including silencer if right price. Don't want to downgrade and hassle of fitting an internal 4-1 unless really have to.

Ta in advance

1.4K SS 😬 Photo's here

Hi

I bought a full manifold to exhaust set for my 1.4k supersport (ebay) but "think" i may only need the exhaust and not the manifold. My old exhaust is holed round the exit pipe and has built in cat so unless u r desperate i would not recommend hat part. Manifold was going on ebay after car is fully rebuilt (2 - 3 weeks). Dont know what they are new, but last one sold for about £40. Manifold is certainly 4 in and 1 out, just cant remember if it is 4-2-1 or 4-1. Main joint is inside bodywork so that exhaust main pipe goes out of body hole and then turns along body to go into main box.

Thanks Tiggercat7, not one I'm after thanks, current exhaust has long primaries that come all the way out of car by about a foot before going into a 4-1 collector then then silencer. Might bite the bullet and see what primary 1 costs from Caterham *confused*

Am I right in thinking yours requires engine lifting up to fit manifold ?? May consider if doesn't..

1.4K SS 😬 Photo's here

David, it is the length of the exhaust head studding that causes fitting and removing problems. Lock two nuts together and unwind the studding, remove surplus length (approx 20mm) and you will be OK - or fit Cap head bolts.

If you have a gas leak problem from the primaries, buy heat resistance silicone to seal them.

If you are cooking the alternator, lag the primaries - makes a big difference to the heat in the engine bay

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

Edited by - John Howe on 5 Jun 2006 14:00:49

Thanks John

Think it actually got to stage of sealing itself now *eek* though standing in traffic is still a concern (normally manifesting itself by Oil Pressure Gauge going off scale (Doesn't inspire confidence). So the exhaust wrapping is a must. Reckon the stud conversion could be worthwhile anyway as can then safely torque the primaries as opposed to trying to find anything that fits. Bit of a squeeze under No's 1 and 2. What size are the studs anyone? Be nice to think I can fit a cheap (higher ground clearance albeit less freeflowing) exhaust.

Cheers

David

1.4K SS 😬 Photo's here

They are M10's - if you want cap heads - let me have your address details and I'll send you off half a dozen. They are over long but I'm sure you can cut them down - it would save me having to do it!

I've run with exhaust wrap for about five years now and wouldn't consider going any other route... other might not agree! Each to his own...

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine