Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lower front wishbones

stutch

After replacing the 636 bushes on the rear of the front lower wishbones I noticed on reassembly that the central steel tube of the bush sits up against the upright of the chassis (Where the 0.5" UNF bolt goes through both). I was wondering whether anything was missing or if this was normal - does wear occur between these two faces? - greased both faces before assembly. The wishbones now operate smoothly but stiffly. I didn't build the car and I don't have any bits left over but that doesn't mean that additional parts were not installed in the first place. Any advice most welcome.

So just to clarify, the central tube of the bush should be pulled up tight agaist the chassis via the clamping action of the bolt. And as you say the movement of the wishbone is induced through the movement of the central tube relative to the outer tube of the bush by the rubber stretching due to the rotation?

Stutch, Sounds correct. I have seen a couple of cars with a very thin shim or washer between them but it isnt strictlty necessary. Remember not to tighten the bolts until the car is back on all four wheels on the ground. If you tighten the bolts with the suspension dangling it will wear out the bushes in a very short time, as they will then be stretched beyond their elastic limit upon suspension compression.