Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine removal advice

Mim

Having successfully removed my VX 2ltr engine to replace the rear oil seal I am now about to lower the engine back in. (The gearbox and bell housing are insitu)

I understand that mating the input shaft through the clutch and into its housing on the crank can be difficult (eg.getting the splines to match?)Any advice would be welcome??

put the gearbox in gear, this should stop your input shaft from revolving, thus easing the location of the splines, either by tuning the crank from the front or turning the prop via a jacked up rear wheel, otherwise make sure that the bellhousing and engine flange are square to each other. best of luck

Russ

If you refitted the clutch pressure plate to the flywheel you did use a clutch plate centering tool didn't you ? If not re do the job as this is essential for easier assembly. The engine will need to be tilted backwards at a steep angle when refitting to the engine bay in order to avoid the top diagonals. I always refit minus the alternator and others also remove the starter motor (I have never found the need for this). As previously advised keep the bellhousing face square to the block bolt up face. When you have the thing somewhere in the correct position a little GENTLE levering between the lower chassis tubes and the crank pulley (whilst rocking the engine) usualy works.

Edited by - ecr on 4 Feb 2002 16:45:37

Edited by - ecr on 4 Feb 2002 16:46:42