Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Question for Roger - Chokes...

philwaters

Ok, dumb question number 287 coming up...

I got my new jets and chokes through from Brin Services last week. Very good service and happy to do mail order - recommended to me by Roger, so cant be bad! 01727 856989.

I fitted all the easy bits during the week, so basically the jets. I then came to fit the chokes and after checking back in the archives found that I needed to undo the small screws under the white caps (getting technical terms here - air bleed?)

Anyway to make a short story long, I got the old chokes out easily then and in went the new ones... however the new ones do not have holes in them for the air bleed screw to protrude through, and therefore do not fully tighten and seat on the taper properly.

Now, I have never touched these screws in 6 years with the x/flow, so do I need them? I am thinking that as the choke effectively covers up the hole anyway that it does not matter that the screws are not fully home - is this right? If there is a chance that they could still let air past then I could file down the end of the taper so that it didn't hit the choke but seated properly.

Or are my chokes just wrong and need to be sent back or drilled? Is it worth waiting until I have the engine running (should be very soon now) and then seeing if I need them to balance the carbs?

The new chokes are 36mm and the old ones were 30mm

Phil Waters

2000 Zetec is in, waiting to start it up wink.gif

Phil,

If the new chokes aren't drilled, all you need to do is install them, wind in the air bypass screw just enough to make a mark, remove the chokes and then drill through with a drill of the appropriate size (haven't got the size in my head and am unable to check at the moment).

You must run with the bypass screws installed - if you don't the engine will draw air in directly via this route and will completely ruin the way it runs.

Ok, thanks Roger,

I was not sure as the choke is effectively blocking off the air bypass screw, but I will mark them and drill with the same sized hole as the old chokes had.

Thanks again. Another job to add to the list - just as I thought it was nearly time to attempt a start!

Phil Waters

2000 Zetec is in, waiting to start it up wink.gif