Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Popper template?

caterhamnut

It is pretty easy to transfer the pattern from the boot cover to the panel by first fitting it to the rear bulkhead top, then sticking 3 or 4 layers of masking tape around the top of the rear panel which will allow an impression to be made of the existing female poppers in the cover.

Carefully pull the cover over the boot and then press the existing poppers into the masking tape, thus leaving an impression in the tape underneath. Drill through the centre of these marks into the rear panel and tube behind, remove the tape, rivet on the male poppers et voila.........several perfectly positioned boot fasteners. *thumbup*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 25 May 2006 14:47:34

Angus, I've been nagging Rif to do a carbon boot cover. I want a car with No poppers but to use velcro pads where needed.

I hope to fit his new sideskins, rear panel, bonnet and scuttle when they are ready and I will not be putting the leatherette boot cover back on.

Maybe you should do an Out-of-box design for a boot cover

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

Brent - brilliant *thumbup* - of course, the key phrase here is:

.....impression to be made of the existing female poppers in the cover.

😬 - no longer existing - although I guess I could do the same with the hood....

Hi Norman - yes, need to revitalise Out of a Box soon I think!! Their range has gone a bit soggy of late....

www.mycaterham.com

here

91,000 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car

• Support Team

Drilling the body for the boot tonneau poppers was one of the jobs I hated. I used the method Brent describes and got "adequate" results. I used the old boot tonneau to mark the popper positions and then double checked with the hood. It's not perfect and the hood doesn't fit as well as it used to (but I've got around that by using a half hood!). Myles had a good suggestion for measuring from the top edge of the boot - use a bit of right angle metal - to get the poppers all at the same vertical position.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Right, well in that case you could locate the poppers laterally in a pattern pretty similar to the old boot cover (or use Marks 7 to obtain a pattern if you no longer have it) but make certain you drill through the centre of the top tube. You can then fit the boot cover as previously said and use masking tape on the underside of the cover at the back to make an impression in the same way then simply fit the female popper and outer black cover through the centre of the marked hole.

At least then you can tension the boot cover as required. Mine is as tight as...............a very tight thing using the described method (which is, in fact, how CC suggest you do it in the build manual)

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 25 May 2006 16:17:21

Angus

Remember before you do any marking/measuring/drilling to fit the hood stay in the boot as this doesn't always fit completly flat and you need to allow for this when pulling the boot cover tight.

I only mention this as we missed it when we were putting Kipper Jnr's car back together after having had a new rear end fitted.

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

Angus

Well worth heating gently with a hair dryer (I'm sure you have one) to stretch the cover - especially if doing it on a cold Spring day. Then, when it cools the cover will be as taut as a taut thing - to coin a phrase 😬

C7 GON - There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'

All done! Did it this afternoon as we were driving down to Somerset and I needed the roof (yes, fitted the screen!) in case it rained - got to protect that new interior before I sort the tonneau. Job made easier by using POPPER TEMPLATE as supplied by Gary at Freestyle - saved hours of measuring!! Job further facilitated by use of proper popper tool - cheers Peter T - made life so much easier!!

www.mycaterham.com

here

91,000 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car