Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Excess luggage

Bobo W

With no minibus to ferry my stuff down to Le Mans and not going the club route I'm left to transport it all myself. So is the spare wheel carrier minus wheel sturdy enough to have luggage strapped to it or should I opt for a luggage rack and retain the spare wheel ?

Don't see why not!

Ray Pearce and his wife have done the last two Bordeaux Blats with my Caterham luggage rack hanging off the back of the spare wheel carrier... and I an tell you that Mrs Pearce does liketo carry a lot of girlie goodies!

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

Angus & Tessa have driven most of europe with a suitcase strapped to the wheel carrier, and a tent etc, etc and that was fine so I wouldn't see a problem apart from the possibility of a puncture as Rob suggests. *eek*

Actually we take the 7 to France every year and apart from filling every crook & nanny with clothes etc, we have a sizeable bag strapped to the luggage rack behind the spare wheel with no problem whatsoever. Touring for 2 weeks in a 7 holds no fears for us, oh no!!! *wink*

After a while you become expert in finding somewhere to stow clothes in or on the 7 in the most unlikely of spaces and then it is surprising just how much space can be found for wine on the way back if you really try hard enough. *thumbup* 😬

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 23 May 2006 15:56:30

I've just come back from 2 weeks in France in my ex-racecar, so no wheel or luggage rack. I'll try to post a piccy later, but the answer is Ortlieb Drybags.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

see here - UPDATED

well, my spare wheel carrier has just snapped off... 3 yrs old and 25K miles. 90% with just the spare wheel on the carrier... remaining 10% with wheel AND a load of luggage stapped to it.

I think I was probably just unlucky as others seem to have had no problems with their rack..

We used to remove spare and pack tent, chairs, tables, air beds and slleping bags etc on the back panel and the clothes in the boot.

On the Bordeaux blat we had two sports bags bungeed to the roll over bar uprights and the boot had stuff in heavt duty bin bags. We also put everything in the sports bags in bin bags.

She took enough stuf to bring some back unworn.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

But my Ortliebs are 100% waterproof, see final pic on my sig for how they were fitted.

On arrival in Millau after 6 hrs of rain on the Autoroutes, the clothes in the Ortliebs were dry, everything else was soaked.

Cheers

Tom

see here - UPDATED

Just to pitch in here as I have now got my Seven and will be going to Europe.

The Ortlieb drybags sound great, I have the luggage rack and will be going the Jill Judd route. It looks like the dry bags are attached to the rollbar, how did you attach them to it as this looks like a great way of doing it.

BRG and Yellow nose VU06 XZX

I have a rack that attaches to the FIA bar - made this myself. The drybags can be strapped stright onto the roll bar but either way, you can't really get the roof on. I have a half roof - basically a normal roof with the back cut out of it for this. I think the Jill Judd half roof is probably better solution though (and cheaper than a whole new roof, which I had to get for normal use as well.

For a trip to france, I'd get 2 drybags and just strap them to the 7 luggage rack.

I only needed the "roofrack" to hold the spare wheel as I don't have a spare carrier on my car and it also carried 4 cans of oil as well as the 2 drybags - the boot was full of tools and spares to keep my sick car going!!!

Edited by - Alex Wong on 24 May 2006 08:49:30

• Support Team

A word of warning on the Jill Judd bags - they are not completely waterproof. We use ours a lot as it is a great solution but you do need to put clothes in waterproof bags inside the boot bag. We use compression bags like these. 2 small ones and a larger one fit neatly in the E-bag. For stuffing in the boot or strapping to rollbar, use the Ortlieb bags or you can get cheaper rucsac liners like these which work well and come in a variety of sizes.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 24 May 2006 10:03:34

Irrespective of the 'watertight' monika I would always suggest using a decent bin liner inside the sac/bag as an extra protective layer just in case.

Alex - it looks like you have three small jet engines attached to your roll bar 😬

After a while you become expert in finding somewhere to stow clothes

*arrowdown*

So thats why you walk funny Brent..... *eek* *arrowright* 🙆🏻 *arrowleft* 😬

*arrowup*

Dave Ardley. White Xflow with Clams

Once a King, always a King...but once a night is enough

Updated photos here

Edited by - Wile7 on 24 May 2006 10:33:55

Based on the amount of water that got into my boot, I don't think binliners would help there. The Ortlieb however withstood torrential rain, even to the depths that it sprayed up under the doors.

Cheers

Tom

see here - UPDATED

Well thats reassuring when you overcook that bend by the lake - at least your undies in the bag will be dry 😬

Dave Ardley. White Xflow with Clams

Once a King, always a King...but once a night is enough

Updated photos here