Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Reversing CR500 direction on wheels?

SouthernBanana

A well known garage in the Herts area said that in the wet, if using CR500s, it was a good idea to swap the two front wheels so that the tyre treads looked as if they were pointing backwards. Has anyone else come across or uses this theory?

Also, in the wet, (on a circuit) where do people tend to set their rear ARB?

• Support Team

Doesn't sound quite right - in the wet you want the treads to disperse water as designed.

I know that the racers run them the "wrong" way round in the dry as they had instances of them delaminating under very hard braking in hot conditions.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 23 May 2006 09:42:37

i suspect same garage told me to run my 021s wrong way round at the front. have to admit have had no problems with doing so in 6500 miles. i suspect the commenst re the right way round is best for the wet are true though

I understood that the tyres could be reversed in the dry to even out wear, with no ill effect. In fact, some people have said that it improves braking performance.

In the wet, I think I'd rather have the tread dispersing the water.

Mad Manx

When i got my car the CR500's were on against the direction of rotation. It's definately something that racers do, as it was an ex race car. The reason we were told was because of the construction of the tyres, that when raced in normal direction the extra heat created in a race situation can cause the tyres to delaminate *eek*

Don't know if this is true but it's what we were told!!

Shiny Red with Black Bits. Photo's to prove it!

I asked this question some years ago and the answer I was given by Avon was that reversing in the dry has the effect of stiffening the tread pattern = better (marginal) handling under braking. As most of us are never at 11/10ths I doubt that we would notice any real advantage.

Fit the correct way for the wet though.

Grant Taylor

OBNS Motorsport

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬 here