Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rev Limiter V Shift Lights

Andy G

Having just had to replace the collets on my 1700 Xflow due ( I am told ) to over revving the engine, which I must admit is very likely,I have decided I need to remedy the situation. Unfortunately once I get to a trackday I find watching the rev counter a problem.

I therefore need to fit some sort of restraint, however having researched " Tech Talk" I find opinions seem to be divided between rev limiters and lights. I am concerned that driving to a rev limiter will stress the engine.

Your views would be welcomed.And any recommendations for hardware gfreatly received.

Andy G

On my first track day I kept hitting the rev limiter as I was too 'busy' ( ie panicking! ) to watch the rev counter as much as I should have done. Solution was to fit an Omex shift light which I found brilliant on my second track day and rarely hit the rev limiter...I recommend fitting both though.

Jan

They do different things really, and having both is the best way IMO too.

Set the shift light a bit below the limiter to tell you when to shift. If you miss the light (unlikely) then the limiter stops you lunching the engine (usually soft (cutting of fuel temporarily) and hard (killing the engine completely) limits can be set I think).

Just a word of warning. I fitted an Omex Speed System (Combined Rev-Limiter and Gear Change Light) to my XFlow and had nothing but problems with random miss-Firing.

Omex were very helpful and supplied various filters and chokes in an effort to cure the problem. However, in the end I had to return it as Omex were confident their unit was incompatable with the old style Lucas Constant Energy ingition system fitted to my car due to high amount of random eletromagnetic radiation these old systems produce.

John A