Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Zetec advice on buying second hand engine.

Bullman

In my local paper there is a zetec 2.0L engine advertised,the owner doesnt know the mileage or what vehicle its from.Could someone advise what to look for?Its to replace an xflow,which zetec is recomended pre 98 hydraulic?Post 98 mechanical?What other engine parts are required?IS the ECU required when using weber carbs instead of injection.Should I find the bores warn can larger pistons be fitted?Any information or advice would be greatly received.

Bullman

Be a bit wary on this one,justlike a second hand car, no history could mean it is dodgy,high milage, not properly serviced,or even not come by legitimately.

On the other hand,it could be a genuine,low milage, just what you are looking for, if you take a punt it had better be cheap!

Ford ecu is no use, nor is the starter, if the alternator is the enormous valeo type it too is no good, pulley may be of use. You do however, need the ignition/coil block, and unless spending big bucks on a water rail make sure you have the thermostat housing. Flywheel is far too big (stock 1800 flywheel on 2 litre is much better and saves money)

Whilst it is nice to have the extra 200cc, many people have saved dosh by using the 1800, you can retain 40DCOEs rather than use 45s, and the water pump turns the right way - you will need an 1800 water pump.

When I did my conversion (1800) I was told to avoid the non hydraulic tappet engine - however, the later engine was very new at the time and things may now be different. I suggest you speak to James Whitting. He was a great source of no-nonsense advice when I converted.

Regards

allen

As it happens I have a good 2 litre Zetec here from a Mondeo, known mileage and in good running order, hydraulic tappet version. It's come from one of my fleet cars which had a rear - ender. Buying a secondhand engine is a potential minefield unless you can hear it running and see oil pressure/ take compression readings, it's a bit of a leap of faith.

If it were me I'd go for the 2 litre..

There is nothing inherently wrong with the solid tappet version of the engine but if you change the cams life becomes a little more complicated.

I'm prety sure oversized pistons can be had for the Zetec, but it would be a pain if you had to re-bore it, a re-ring might be feasible if the bores arent too bad.

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 2 Feb 2002 08:41:09

Over size pistons are avaliable I had to rebore my engine if it is totaly stuffed in the bottom end Ford do exchange short motors for about £380.00 plus if you haggle a lot hade to keep my engine I needed the age for SVA also see the duplicated topic for my other post

Paul

There are a few detail differences on the solid tappet version, but I understand Raceline now have a kit specifically for this later engine.

Personally I would go for a 2L engine with a known history.

Many years ago a friend of mine bought a 'low mileage' engine he saw advertised, which indeed it was having covered just over 3000 miles from new. What he didn't know, until later, was that the car from which it was taken had finished its useful life on its roof, with the engine still running!

Consequently the crankshaft journals were starved of oil for long enough to run the bearings resulting in a new bottom end being required.

So all I would say is be careful and if you don't know the source or the engines history, walk away. There are plenty other Zetecs out there.

Brent

Edited by - brent chiswick on 2 Feb 2002 16:49:36

When I bought my 2 litre it was possibly a bit of a risk taking the guys word at the breakers as gospel but the story he told and the appearance of the engine matched i.e dash board fire resulting from fitment of hands free kit, only the injection plenum was scorched. The last MOT reported 60000 miles and it cost £150. It started first time when fitted and ran beautifully on yesterdays first drive. Go for it.

Paul

PS Aldon Automotive do an exchange 2.1 short engine for about the same price as Fords.