Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Suspension, Wheels & Tyres for older Supersprint

c831gkl

What started out as a quest for new rubber has turned into something more major.

My '86 Supersprint still sports the original black/alloy 6x13 rims with 185/70 Goodyears.

With a view to changing the rubber and maybe the rims I rang Caterham and they suggested go for A032Rs in 185/60 guise but with uprated springs (later supersprint spec) to avoid any bottoming out problems.

Anyone got any thoughts on the matter or similar experiences, is it worth going for shocks at the same time, I guess widetrack isn't an option for such an old car?

Thanks in advance to anyone wishing to comment.

Kevin Thomas

kevin.thomas@bigfoot.com

Kevin, I have recently carried out this same exercise and went for AO32R all round but with 205/60 x 13 on the back and 185/60 on the front. because of the lower profile and my desire to retain the sump intact, I also fitted the latest spec Bilsteins with adjustable spring seats. The difference to handling and grip is just incredible, but beware the wet!

A word of warning if you buy Bilsteins from Caterham, check they have fitted the spring seats in the correct groove. They cocked mine up totally and when fitted even with the seats at their lowest setting, the car was about 25mm too high. I then had to remove them and send back to Caterham for additional grooves to be machined in. All very annoying!

The bigger tyres on the back, by the way, seem to give a more compliant ride whilst filling the arches better. My advice would be definitely to go for the change

Brent

My car is the same year(a live axle). Last year, particularly with an interest in the Curborough sprint I changed from the original 185/70 R13 NCTs to 185/60 R13 021s. The difference was astounding! Took nearly 6 (SIX) seconds off my double lap time. Admittedly the NCTs were old and v. hard.The improvements are in lateral cornering grip, turn in and especially braking.

It depends what you want the tyres for. If you are considering the club sprint, the new classes mean that 032s or even crossply ACB10s are the wat to go. The latter may neccessitate camber changes. However if your usage is mainly for road and even trackdays which may be wet, the 021s may still be the overall best.

Point taken about uprating spring stiffness, as I have taken my sump out with the reduced ground-clearance, travelling two-up back from a track day at Mallory!

In many ways I am glad I ran the car on crap tyres for the first few years, as you learn car control by losing adhesion at lower speeds and the breakaway on 70% roadtyres is very gradual. Then after that you really appreciate the extra grip.

Overall tyres are the cheapest way to improve the car!

If ride height is an issue, George Polley does 185/70R13 Yoko A021R's for 40ukp each corner fitted. I changed over a few months ago and wish I had done so a couple of years ago.

Again, the cheapest upgrade you can do.

• 4 weeks later...
I change my Goodyears for Yoko's some years ago, and have tried A008's, A021's and A032's in various combinations, currently wearing out the last of the A008's on the front with A032's on the back. Mild understeer in the dry, total oversteer in the wet, but I wouldn't go back to anything bigger. The sump has taken some damage - only holed once, and I use it down some real rural type roads - single track. 13 inch wheels 185/60's...magic combination.