Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Q.E.D. 175 BHP

CHRIS GALE

I know this is a pretty much covered subject already, but i'm looking to upgrade my 1.8 k ss. possibly with head work, solid lifters, larger valves, cams, DTH,TBs and ECU about 180-190 BHP.

QED are selling a 175 BHP conversion kit with the above but retaining original valves and head.

1) Has anyone used this upgrade, and can comment.?

2) Are the figures quoted (175) realistic without head and

valve work.?

3) Would it be a significant increase in performance and power

over the standard SS kit.?

I think the approx cost is 2000 UKP. Any comments/advise would be greatly appreciated, my knowledge and experience is limited, so go easy.

C7 CJG

Hi Chris

Last year my knowledge was limited, but after studying Dave Andrews web site I had a go myself. I looked at the QED upgrade, but in the end decided I could do better for a little less dosh. I got 184bhp out of a 1600, for about £1.6k (see Low Flying about Sept last year). If you can handle a drill and have a bit of patience it is well within DIY capability and its really rewarding. Took about thirty hours from start to finish.

Dale

P7DHC wink.gif

Chris.

Approx 2,600 UKP was what it took to get 202bhp from an 1800 'K' and that included buying the motor too! My engine still has the hyd. followers for ease of my work load & reliability etc.

See Dave Andrews site. The man is just magic with 'K's and you can have the satisfaction of knowing exactly what has been done.

Edited by - chris clark on 2 Feb 2002 00:58:51

As the others have said... see Dave Andrews Web page.

Whilst the QED conversions will doubtless give you more power, you really needs to view an unported head and compare it with ported one - you will quickly relise the need to go that extra step and why it will give you that extra umph.

JH

I think I will be going the Dave Andrews route.

Porting the head is my main concern for DIY, I think your very brave Dale. maybe with hands on guidance i could do it.

However, if i don't what sort of money can i expect to pay for a good head job(scuse the pun.)?

C7 CJG

Hi Chris

Honest, it is not too difficult, so you don't need to be brave. The others that have replied back this up. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who has done the QED upgrade, althought the heads on display at the NEC looked reasonable, but they could have got more power with a little extra work.

In addition to the head think about the ECU. I like many others have used the Emerald M3D and had it set up by Dave Walker (CCC Tech Editor).

Good luck with whichever option you choose. If you do decide to DIY and fancy a chat drop me an email with your number and I will give you a call.

Dale

P7DHC wink.gif

Couldn't agree more if you scare at the head work just buy the Emerald K kit its cheaper than QED and more of us are using it or similar. DW [CCC] knows his stuff I bring my car over from Ireland to get it set up on his Rollers each time I upgrade And way back in 98 I had one of the very first development Emerald units. Haven't loked back since, mind you Without DVA, like a lot of us I'd still be in the wilderness.smile.gif

PS my 1.6 K is producing 179BHP Enough for you???

jj