Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Rebuild or replace my 1400SS

Ben_SS

• Leadership Team

David - the Emerald, mapping, gearbox, Apollo and radiator all come to £1270 *eek* I think these would be considered as upgrades rather than necessities. Yes I do run with an Apollo, and I fitted a s/h big rad that cost me £70 IIRC. The 1800 should run perfectly fine with a standard rad though (as Caterham supplied with the 1800SS).

Knock the £1270 of upgrades off your £2215 total cost and the base conversion comes in at a shade under £1000. The conversion would appear to be in the region of approx £300 plus the engine - my engine was £350 plus the cost of a refurb by Oily *thumbup*

Stu.

• Leadership Team

Ben, the SS cams are the mostly the same in all of the engine sizes (the race versions are profiled slightly more agressively for use with solid followers) therefore why break into the head to mess with them - keep the whole top assembled and swap it as one unit. Your era of 1400 will be the high port head and therefore is no different to a genuine Caterham supplied 1800SS.

Stu.

Stu, I know we spent more on it then the minimum. The old rad was the very small brass jobby and did not have the capacity as it was with the 1400 and I couldn't find a refurb or 2nd hand one in the time available.

Thought about refurbing the engine but we didn't really see that as an option and took the opportunity to put in the slightly larger unit. We could have got away with swapping the 1400 flywheel to the 1600 and retaining the ECU, but basically wanted to go the Emerald route anyway.

The 1400 SS plenum is a much better engineering job with better capacity when fitted with the 55mm TB than the plastic plenum IMO. Redline have some in stock by the way.

C7 CDW