Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ford kent 116e cosworth

alec sturgess

I have a series 2 seven with the cosworth/ford 116e engine with a laystall steel crank.I am having trouble with the rear main seal leaking in spite of carefull assembly.The crank is slightly worn & pitted where the seal bears.Can anyone offer a fix for this or is it bye bye laystall!!!

Alec, in the aviation industry many shafts, when worn, are "re-metalled", a process to plate on new material and then machine back to size, whether this could be done on a crankshaft I'm not sure, but it may be one avenue to follow, on the other hand it may prove prohibitively expensive, and a "new" crank would be the way to go. Regards Nigel.

Provided nothing can hit the seal then there is mileage in fitting the seal only 3/4 way into its housing, this will enusre the oil seal edge bears up on a virgin part of the crank which has no lip, just make sure the seal is dead square. Alternatively you can tighten the spring band which lives inside the seal by taking it out, unwinding the end and snipping off a few coils. Either of these two tricks may help, if the ridge isnt too severe you may be able to grind/polish it out.. otherwise you are in to metasl reconstruction..

Oily

Alec.

It is possible to have the end of the crank hard chromed and re-ground to size. I know of people who have done this successfully. Cheaper than a new crank.

Find a decent grinder. I'm sure they will be able to help.

Depending on the shape of the crank you may be able to machine it down and press on a sleeve and have it ground to the original diameter as an alternative.

AMMO

If your Laystall crank has been nitrided and I would guess that it probably has, it would be wise to grind off this layer before you try to chrome plate.

The alternative is to use a Fel-Pro sleeve. These sleeves have been designed for your specific problem.

There is a link but it is very slow to load.

http://www.federal-mogul.com/felpro/counterpro/problem_solvers/engine$aver_hardware/pg_28.html

Laystall in Wolverhampton are still in business and are generally very helpful. It may be worth contacting them and seeing if they could fit a Fel-Pro sleeve or provide some alternative.

Good Luck.