Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Novice alert!!!

Simon S

I am not a "sprinter" yet but am interested in starting sprinting after doing a few trackdays etc.

I have a 150BHP 1.8VVC with a few bits of carbon, 15" 10 spoke wheels, and an aeroscreen fitted. Am I right in thinking this would sit in class 4 with R300-500, bike engines etc because it is a VVC? My concern is that I will be slow enough against similar cars, without having what seems to be the slowest model in the class??

Also as a bit of general advice how do you go on with insurance (I assume this is not classed as trackday cover?)

Any advice welcome.

Thank you.

MY CAR

Simon S

S5 SVN

😬I am NOT receding.... I just like aeroscreening! 😬

Simon, this is my first season of "sprinting"

My few thoughts are that it doesnt really matter what class you are in to start with, you will find other cars, perhaps not even in your class with a not dissimilar power output, spec etc to compare yourself with, everyone is very encouraging and friendly. Oh and it can be addictive 😬

I am in a similar situation in that I have a 150-160 bhp bdr engined car which puts me in with the big boys but this has not curtailed my fun at all *thumbup*

You won't know if you like it till you've tried it, if your unsure then pop along to Curborough to the "introduction to sprinting" day at the end of this month *idea*

Martin

Graham,

The car currently has Goodyear F1's on it, but I intended to replace them with Avon CR500's - (What do I actually need in that class???)

Martin,

Thanks for that. Am still concerned about insurance too - what does everyone else do?

MY CAR

Simon S

S5 SVN

😬I am NOT receding.... I just like aeroscreening! 😬

Simon - the majority of the paddock will be uninsured, it is just the risk you take. Offs are rare (but not unknown) and most circuits have enough run-off to allow spins with no damage.

Don't worry about the class or performance of your car, just come along and have fun. To be honest, even if you had a car with 220BHP you would be unlikely to be at the top of class 4 in year 1 as knowing where the circuit goes makes a massive difference.

If you try a few this year that gives you the winter to then tune your car to make it competitive next year 😬

Steve

• Area Representative

Simon,

CR500's would put you in class 5.

As Martin points out, there's an introduction to sprinting day at Curborough on Saturday 27th May, but before that there's the first of the clubs two sprints at Curborough, next Saturday 20th.

Why not come along to either event and see what goes on?