Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Suitable brake pads (AP) for Curborough ?

edmandsd

I've basically got the JPE brake set up (10 inch ventilated disc front with 4 pot AP calipers, 9 inch solid disc rear with 2 pot AP calipers) and was wondering whether the standard brake pads are suitable for a sprint such as Curborough ? Obviously circuit racing would require higher performance pads but are standard pads ideal for Curborough or equivalent hillclimb/sprints because they don't really get worked very hard ?

Dave

There is only two really hard braking points at Curborough

The first is when you are slowing down along the straight for the 2 nd lap turning approx 100 to 30 mph in 90 mtrs and the 2nd is again over the finish line when you have to slow to go around the bend to the collecting area again finish speed is 110+

When braking for the other corner it is really just a quick dab to settle the car

I,m now awaiting critical analysis of the about statement from arnieteeth.gif

Dave

Thanks Dave, Alex - Considering i'm unlikely to be setting the world alight (if not the ACB10's I'm going to be using !) the standard pads would seem suitable - Be interested in trap speed though as this is a good indicator of power......... after taking final straight entry speed into account of course.

Edited by - edmandsd on 4 Feb 2002 18:38:11

and in case anyone was considering it, nitrous is not allowed by the MSA...... Pump fuel only. I'll be collecting fingerprint samples soon.

114mph was stuning. I think my terminal on my fastest lap was about 100mph! I'm not very good at exiting that top corner.

Not sure though as all I saw was the time.

Edited by - Alex Wong on 5 Feb 2002 01:10:21

Edited by - Alex Wong on 5 Feb 2002 01:11:48

I have competed at Curborough on and off for the past 13 years now and as you say the exit speed out of the top corner is all important for a good speed over the line BUT back in 96 - 98 I became more confused than normal. The car was an 1800 Super Sprint on slicks and in 96 I managed 92 mph at most events but had to use 4th gear. In 98 I used the identical car on Falken road tyres and saw 95 mph normally but was able to hold 3rd at 8000rpm (car peaked at 7400rpm).

Seems to prove that gearing and exit speed are equally important. Out with the calculators chaps.

Paul

At the risk of going off thread here, Chris, I do not wish to be reminded that the 1660 short engine I sold you for £250? was so bloody good. Just proves what a genuine and generous type I am (was). I had a Quaiffe box fitted at the time thus my 3rd was higher so there. My dads bigger than your dad etc.

Back to the thread, there is no problem stopping from 95 mph on standard brakes thus the simple answer is to go slower.

Paul

OK Chris, I accept that our speeds were close, if you don't stop reminding me I will tell everyone that you drove a Sylva (actually two). E-mail me off line with your engine diagnosis.

Back to brakes I once saw a mad competitor get his front pads contaminated with brake fluid during practice proceed to pour petrol on them, light it, watch them burn and then refit them and compete (in a W*******d).

Paul

Dave,

You want the softest road pads you can find! They have to work instantly from cold-obviously they would be totally useless after a couple of laps of Donington, but thats a different matter.

Paul,

Not ashamed to say I drove (and liked immensely!) Sylvas. Designed for the job and all that! Could have been worse...

Could have been a Robin Hood! (That'll get someone going...)

Chris

Dave

I changed from the standard pads a couple of years ago after a brief conversation with Ferodo. I told them the Caterham part number and they recommended either DS2000 or DS3000 (whichever were softer, sorry cannot remember). At Curborough I have to say I have noticed bugger all difference.

Interesting to note that you cannot type the W word but Sylva and Robin Hood are OK.

Chris, do you think Mr Mole looks at this site?

Paul

Dave,

I use Apex pads. Very soft. Incredible stopping power from cold, but only last about 4000miles in my big Volvo. Need bedding in carefully to stop them glazing over, but once bedded are the best low-cost standard pad around. (IMHO).

Paul,

It wasn't Mr Mole I was thinkimg of. A certain Mr Andrews has a Robin Hood powered by a rather tasty Normally Aspirated Cosworth YB.

Incidentally, Mr Mole's Robin Hood developed cracks in the monocoque bigger than the San Andreas fault, and had to have a special spaceframe strengthening section welded in. The moncoque just isn't up to competition use, particularly with a motor approaching 200bhp.(and I'm sure Mr Andrews' is significantly more powerful than that).

Haven't have time to strip the short block yet, but I'll keep you posted.

Chris.