Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Front shock alan key size Now Sorted

Bilbo

Hi All

What size is the alen key for the lower front shock mounting.

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Edited by - bilbo on 16 May 2006 21:43:09

Cheers all

The only problem is that my 7/32 does not quite fit most likly its knackered that left me thinking it was metric. I get a new one tomorrow

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

And when you eventually get it out, slather the replacement with copper grease so it can be removed easily at the next occasion. I echo nverona, use a 7/32 allen key socket and bias the effort towards pushing the socket towards the bolt while turning.

Perhaps ordering a pair of new bolts from CC now would be a good idea and when you tighten them-up, just give them a "nip" - it's not the anchor of the Titanic *cool*

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Hi All

Well wasted the day trying to buy a set of alan sockets or imperial alan keys. Finally bought a set of keys at B&Q well others sold them but only very short handled ones. Why do people bother stocking them cheap they might be but useless.

Yep its stuck

Yes it was covered in copperslip I use it near everywhere, then again maybe I used lock tight last time as I seem to remember somebody had a problem with one coming loose 🤔

Also nobody has a new nylock imperial nut for the ball joint. I was sure I could get one of those from the small shop down the road as that was where I bought the last ones. Only to be told that he has not stocked imperial in 15 years I never bother to tell him he sold me some 3 years ago and its where I always bought imperial nuts and yes its the same owner. In fact was the only place that did sell them other than a nut and bolt shop in Croydon.. will phone CC tomorrow for a few new nuts and spare alan bolt..

Hi All

Well after a long search of the web I have ordered a 7/32 and a 3/16 inhex from here

edit these seem to be the only 2 sizes on the car

Edited by - Bilbo on 14 May 2006 19:37:42

Hi All

Well very prompt service from auto-tools the hex sockets arrived today and I even added a 3/8 one to the order yesterday morning *thumbup*. Stahlwille sockets see very good quality *thumbup*

Well easy peasy job with the hex socket it came out without any problems. Yes it had copperslip on the shaft and locktite on the thread. I have put the new cap bolt back the same way.

Big thanks to CC parts for sending me new ball joint bolts and lower caps overnight. *thumbup*

One odd thing the new nuts have blue nylock the old ones were white. O always thought blue was metric and white imperial but the threads are the same *confused*