Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Exhaust gas analysers

Graham Sewell

I have tried in the past to set the idle mixture of my 1700 xflow by ear (max idle speed for a given throttle position at 1000rpm) but find that the plugs still foul up when returning home through traffic. I know the main jets are correctly set, thanks to Dave Walker, but the (typically) 10 mile slog through London traffic to get home knackers the plugs.

I have tried the 'colorplug' route as well and found it almost totally useless.

Rather than going too crazy on hotter plugs, I was thinking about buying a gas analyser to see if I am running WAY too rich. Is there such a thing as a reasonably priced amateur gas analyser (i.e. < 100ukp)? Or should I just pester my local MOT station for half an hour with his kit?

Graham,

Gunson make one. They are about 70 UKP, however, if you call their repair department they may have some cheaper reconditioned ones 35-55 UKP?. They are of the hot wire type and I have found that they are as consistent as the garage type, the problem with taking CO readings is that ambient conditions will affect the reading. Hope this helps. If you want the tel. No. let me know and I'll do my best to find it.

It's not a gas analyzer you need it's a suitable set of jets or float needles which do not leakthumbsdown.gif. Let's face it idea.gif your plugs are telling you all you need to know.

If the idle is not repeatable then your needles are almost certainly leaking very slowly thus altering the fuel (float level).

Steve B