Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ignition wiring

allegro

I am in the process of removing the ignition barrel and replacing it with an ignition switch and red button on the dash board.

Can anybody offer advise on which wires go where and what they do ? I do not have a loom diagram, so short of belling the barrel out, I have no clue.

Also. I take it the ignition barrel just clamps on the steering column. Has anybody had problems removing it ?

Thanks in advance

Andy Mac

teeth.gif Out of Control RED SLR teeth.gif

Just installed the 'Big Red'. Great fun. Loads of previous postings on wirings that will help. Getting the ignition off the steering column is very straight forward, only problem I had was shearing one of the bolt heads off when I replaced it. Whoops! Just have to hope I don't need to ever remove it ever again.

Cheers,

Chris.P

There is a train of thought that says that the heads on shear head bolts should be sheared off! Especially on steering locks which is why they use shear head bolts. IT is all very well saying that you hope that you don't need to remove it, but if the head remains, then (in a tin top) a thief could remove it in seconds with no other damage to the car.

However, a quick bit ov 'Dremmelling' (?) will put a slot in the top for a screwdriver!

Cheers,

Graham

Funny you should say that. One of the heads has sheared off and I am having a bugger of a job removing it. Unless anyone can tell me a good way of removing it, tonight my junior hack saw is going to see some action.

Andy Mac

teeth.gif Out of Control RED SLR teeth.gif

The iginition barrel is bolted to the column using two necked bolts. These are designed to shear off as they are tightened. You may be lucky and find the heads still in place. If not just leave it there and take the wires out of the back. That way you still have a steering lock.

Disconnect the battery. Pull off the black plastic cover from the back of the lock.

The ususal arrangement is this:

The two brown wires joined together onto a single spade connector are the live. If you look at the back of the barrel these are usually bottom left on a double spade connector. Next to this, bottom right is another double spade connector with two wires, the switched power out – gives +12V when ignition turned to ACC.

Top left is the feed to the started motor solenoid. It gives +12V when the key is turned against the spring to the start position. This wire is probably red/white.

The other terminal, top right, is unused and gives +12V when the key is in ACC position but 0V when starting - probably to kill the radio etc.

Use a multimeter to check resistance across the terminals in the various key positions if you’re unsure.

Slarty Blat Fasttongue.gif