Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Cam carrier oil weep, depositing under water rail

Dirty Den

I started a thread a little while ago because I've got a number of problems with my 7, one of which was "steam" coming from the top hose/water rail joint on my K-series.

I've subsequently found out that there's oil weeping from under the bolt that fixes the water rail to the head and it was this oil burning off that was causing the smoke as the engine heated up.

The water rail is the new style water rail and the bolt is the left most retaining bolt. Any idea how oil could be escaping from this point? I've checked the bolt and it's tight, so I don't think it's weeping because the bolt is loose - I'm not sure what to do about this.

Cheers,

Den

http://www.dens7.co.uk

Edited by - Dirty Den on 8 Jun 2006 13:56:06

You either have a slight oil weep from the cam-cover gasket or the join between the cam-carrier (this should be sealed with anaerobic gloop). Oil runs down to the bolt. If it's not too much live with it; if it's a lot then start with a new cam-cover gasket but do not over-tighten the bolts.

Edited by - Mick Day on 10 May 2006 23:25:34

Den

Take the bolt right out and see whats going on, there wont be oil leaking from the bolt as it doesnt go into the head etc so its coming from somewhere else, either rocker or head. or was it just oily when they put the head back on....

Ian

Den, why don't you just take it back to where you had the head done and ask them to sort it since it wasn't leaking before this. After all, you've only had it back a week or two and presumably have hardly used it in that time.

I'm sure they would want to help and sort it FOC. *thumbup*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Hi Brent -

That's certainly a possibility, although it would mean either taking time off work or going there on a Saturday when I need to be fixing my house up for when I sell it in a few months time.

To be honest, right now I'm so ☹️ and *mad* that I'm seriously considering just putting the car in "For sale". *thumbdown*

Den

Hi David -

I've actually spoken to the guys who did the head gasket and retimed the cams recently *thumbup* - the cam cover gasket was a brand new gasket, so they suggested just checking to make sure all of the cam cover nuts are nipped tight - I'll have a look at that.

Ian, I'll drop you an email...

Den

Edited by - Dirty Den on 11 May 2006 15:30:10

Most K's do leak at the cam cover. Mine did for ages until recently when I had the head in pieces and I lightly linished the surfaces. Still using old gasket and not a drop from it not. You could try and linish the cam cover but don't fo the ladder unless you remove it as you may contaminate the oil.

Worth a look at the srufaces for any crud!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all -

Mick was right - I'm now almost 100% certain that the cam carrier is weeping oil, which drains down the side of the head and deposits itself under the water rail bolt.

7 Indulgence have been absolutely great *thumbup* about this and have offered to sort it out for me if I take the car over to them, but at the moment I don't have lots of spare time - what with last minute wedding plans keeping me busy.

What is involved in removing the cam carrier so that I can reseal between the head and the cam carrier? I've never done anything like that before so would probably benefit from numpty style instructions *wink*

I'm assuming that I would need to remove the coil pack cover, coil packs, spark plug cover/gasket, remove the cam belt after locking the cams in place and then finally remove the cam carrier - or does the cambelt not require removing when taking the carrier off? I assume either way the cams need locking in place, but they would then be free to move with the carrier off?

Cheers,

Den

Edited by - Dirty Den on 8 Jun 2006 21:56:08

I am interested in this as it sounds identical to my slight oil leak.

Small drops of oil under the water rail bolt that flows down the rail and drops on to the exhaust, then burns off.

Let me know how you get on.

Richard

The belt has to come off..

TBH you may have some success with sealing outside the join with some silicone sealant, if you clean the area thoroughly near the leak with catb cleaner, allow it to dry, then apply some silicone sealant over the join and let it go off, you may well cure the leak.

Of course the correct way to do it is to remove the carrier, clean the head and carrier and apply Loctite 574 to the appropriate surfaces before torquring down the ladder.

Make sure that you put the engine at 90BTDC before slackening and removing the belt.

Oily

No. The verniers give the fine adjustment needed to time the cams just right for the engine. Mark them carefully before removal and as long as they go back in the same place you'll be fine. All that can go wrong is to get them a tooth out and you should spot that quite quickly...