Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

APOLLO FITTING CONCERNS

Mark Chilton

I have just experienced the 'fun' of fitting the Apollo kit to my K Series VVC.

Firstly my thanks to all the contributors of previous threads on this subject both recent and archived and to Nigel Pugh for having his digital piccies accessible on the net.

It was only from reading these threads that I immediately realised that Caterham had sent the wrong instructions with the kit!!! I had fitting instructions for 'ACOT 05' when I should have had 'ACOT 01'. However, the importance of preparing the Apollo tank before fitting (relevant for any 7 )was only addressed in the 'ACOT 05'! On receiving the right instructions the accompanying photocopied photographs I had hoped were an improvement on what Caterham used to send out. No, just as b***** useless as previously reported.

My concerns are these:

I didn't like the idea of drilling into the tubular chassis to fix the tank support plate or the bracket for holding the top of the tank in position (for my perceived fears of increasing the opportunity for corosion an weakening the chassis tubes). I've used tiwraps instead to locate the plate and a beefy (7.6mm wide) tiwrap for the top of the tank. With the oil hoses attached it doesn't look as if the tank has any real opportunity to migrate.....time will tell.

The oil hose connecting onto the lower point of the Apollo tank has to bend back on istself to go through the altenator belt. The bend radius of this bottom hose is very small and I worry that in time the hose is in risk of collapse and thus starve the engine of oil!!!

Any comments on either of these concerns?

Finally, I've have mentioned the words 'Apollo', 'oil' but not 'leak'.......until now! Well even with the benefit of the experiences of those who have 'been there!, done that!' I failed to make it leak free first time. I was gutted, I had tried to be super careful and thorough! Still I have learnt that by attacking my 23mm and 26mm spanners with a bench grinder I managed to remove sufficient material to be able to access the hose nut and union to the sandwich plate without the pain of having to drain everything down.

Leak Free?....We'll see.

Its easier to tighten the unions onto the sandwich plate before fixing it in position. I would worry about mounting the tank brackets with tie wraps, if it comes loose its bye bye engine. I don`t share your concerns about corrosion of the chassis when drilling to mount the tank brackets properly with pop rivets as this method of fixing is used throughout the car.

Ditto Rob & Chris re the bottom plate fixing. I used a small jubilee clip (lined with a bit of cast off rad hose) around the upper chassis tube to hold the big jubilee clip around the tank. It's very secure. The top bracket supplied by Caterham looks very inadequate.

Mick

So what about the bend radius of the bottom hose. Should I be worried?

Bit difficult to know what your curvature really is. I can't remember the exact location of some really good digi photos on the seven's list, but these were a godsend to me when setting up. It must be in the Blatchat archives.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

Some thoughts...

Holes for rivets: No problem, really -- every ali body panel on the car seems to be attached this way!

Top mounting: I agree the little curved thingie that Caterham supply looks flimsy, but I fixed mine with two pop rivets and it's still there!

Bend in bottom hose: That worried me too, but I've had no problems in practice. I've just been out to measure the bend diameter (vertical) -- it's 8cm internal. It certainly looks tight, but it's kink-free.

Leaks: They all do that, sir! It took me several attempts to get mine 100% oiltight. The trick is to tighten the hose/plate unions at the bench (it took me several goes to get the hose angle correct). The next trick is to get the sandwich plate truly square -- very fiddly. No leaks at all now, however, even after several trackdays.

Ty-wraps: I used lots of these for locating the hoses, and keeping them away from the whirring bits. Essential, but no good for holding the tank itself, IMHO.

Hope this helps.

JV

Thank you all for your input.

I have now applied Mick's jubilee clip solution also to the bottom of the tank via the diagonal chassis tube. The tank now has absolutely nowhere to go and the supplied base plate may as well not be there.

On the subject leaks I did tighten the unions onto the sandwich plate off the car (hence why I was 'gutted'). As I didn't have a torque wrench other than with socket drive I got a 'feel' for what the correct torque felt like and then 'attacked' the unions with a regular spanner. In hind sight I was a little too conservative.

I've just checked the lower hose bend and get 8 cms like John. As I can't see any way to route this to reduce the curvature I'm feeling a little more comfortable with it.

Mark

Do they all leak then! I had my Apollo fitted by Caterham as I had heard several nasty stories about leaks and the problems fitting the system. - Mine drips after a run (the system that is) and it seems impossible to tighten up the unions in situe. Caterham have offered to check it out when the car goes in for some other work that needs their attention, so will leave it to them this time. Am interested in these comments in case I have to attend to it later on though. Mike H

Kiwi,

I paid a little over £450 inc vat ;abour etc. I think it is now offered as a track pack, at a reduced rate. Ask Derek when you get there. They have limited stock of pre owned cars - the showroom is only small, but the service they provide is excellent. I try to use them exclusivly for servicing etc. They have lots of time for each person and will talk to you about what is best for you and your car, rather than just trying to sell you something you may not need - not that others do this sort of thing ever - honest.

Drop me a line if you want any further info.

Regards,

Martin