Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rebuild help - South Bucks

John Ryan

This is a bit of a cheeky one!

I have been rebuilding a crashed 1995 live axle. The chassis is now back and painted (Bruce did an exceptional job), and I have the front suspension in and the wiring. In about 10 days I will be ready for the gearbox and engine to go back in. This is the first rebuild I have ever done.

I am really concerned about doing this right, and not damaging the pristine body. So is there anyone in the South Bucks area who could give me an hour and make sure I do it right. I will need to hire the crane, and am willing to supply lots of beer and curry as a thank you.

John

Hi again John Looks like mabe the ordenary type 9 is what you want, (other posting) shame im not nearer I would come and give you a hand, I live over in Mold North Wales, when me and my son put my engine and box in we covered every thing in cororgated cardboard for protection Regards Paul

The build book says

tie rope to engine, tilt to 30deg and insert

and it's not far wrong.

Another tip is to make sure that the engine hangs vertically as its lifted. best done with 3 people, 1 for the hoist, 1 underneath to guide it onto the gearbox mount and 1 to make sure everything is clear.

Paul M

Where in South Bucks?

I have an engine crane and put my engine gearbox in, so could stand there and tut-tut with some authority 😬

Drop me an e-mail and maybe I could help.

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

John

When exactly are you planning this, PR is only about an hour from me so would be happy to come and offer assistance if required, you will need an engine hoist/crane, as well as a good trolley jeck to be able to control the back of the gearbox (alternatively you get someone to lay underneath to do this, I know as I seem to have done this a few times already)

What engine/box are you putting in?

Graham

*smile*Lotus 7 Club General Secretary *smile*

Many many thanks for the replies!

Just to give you some background, I bought a crashed 1995 4 speed live axle car in September, quite cheaply off ebay. I completely stripped it down, had the chassis rebuilt and reskinned at Arch, and am now putting it back together. I was at Redline this morning picking up a bellhousing and some other bits, so I now have all I need.

I have in general replaced all the wearing parts, including the suspension, braking and other consumables, and have got a lot of the stuff via this site. I have done some mechanical stuff in the past, but nothing this major!

I have the front suspension on, and most of the wiring back in. So I now need to 'P' clip everything to the tunnel, put the back axle and suspension back in, and I will then be ready for the engine and box, which is now a 5-speed with the chassis adapted to suit. The engine is now a rebuild 1,680cc with new pistons, bearings and valves, converted to unleaded. I have had the carbs serviced at Redline.

With other things, perhaps the weekend after next (27/28th) would be my target to get the engine and box in. However, I need to confirm this with Tony who is local to me and has an engine hoist!

The only issues I can see then are to sort out the handbrake (I cannot make sense of this currently), and then the ignition system, as I have a hybrid of parts at the moment.

I will post a proposed date after I speak to Tony tomorrow.

Thanks again

John

• Area Representative

Hi John

I may not be particularly skilled on the spannering front but may be able to help/lift the other end and such like. Can do some electrics.

I am in Berkhamsted, so not far from you.

Have you been up to meet us all at Penn? next meeting on 27 May. lots of pleasant helpful people up there. But that would occupy some of Saturday and only leave you the Sunday completely free!

Hi

Just spoken to Tony, and 11.00am on the 27th looks to be the time. Hopefull it won't take too long, as I will try to have everything ready for the lift.

I did pop up to Penn a couple of months ago with one of my sons, and the cars were great. I did feel a bit of a fraud though, with a Golf instead of a 7. I do want to take an active part in the club when my car is back on the road, hopefully for the June meeting.

• 2 weeks later...