Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What Size AO32Rs for 6" & 7" Wheels?

Mike C.

6"x13" fronts and 7"x13" rears seems to be a popular wheel configuration.

However, what size and compound Yoko AO32Rs would best suit these wheels?

I'm presuming 185/60 fronts and either 205/60 or 215/50 rears.

Anyone any experience?

Mad Manx

If it's std. powered I'd stick with 6"ers all round with 185s (think it might have been me that made the comment before).

If you have more power (say 180+bhp, though generalisations are just that!) then 205s work well on the back.

You're not going to knack it completely putting 205s on the back of a std. car, but the balance is nigh on perfect with 185s.

I'm currently running 185s all round on 200bhp and it works a treat in the wet.

And 205s cost more.

Presumably you also have no spare...though even if you don't, same size all round allows you to rotate them (if you get non-directional tyres).

Edited by - Andy Murphy on 30 Jan 2002 17:44:27

I have just bought 185/60 for 6inch fronts and 205/60 for the 7 inch rears, haven't had any real chance to find out about the superior grip over the old michelins due to english weather. Word of warning though - don't go for the 215's for road use - they are not E marked I only found this out after talking to yoko at the autosport show - the guy was really helpful. Problem was I had just bought 185 front and 215 for the back !! GP has since swapped them over so I am now road legal.

It appears the 215 was only ever brought into the UK at Caterhams (racing) request, as a new tyre is on its way 048 the 215 were never put through the E mark procedure. The new tyres are expected to take off later in the year when more sizes etc available.

I ran 6x13 with 185/60 021's all round and then changed to 7x13's on the rear with 205/60's (032's this time). If I'm really honest the difference was pretty minimal and perhaps only noticeable at a gloriously hot and hard driven full day at Donington..... Fills out the rear arches nicely though!

This was with a std. 1.6 Supersport K - hopefully after my big winter engine upgrade the bigger rear boots will be more justifiable!

With reference to the status of non e or E marked tyres such as 205/50 32r . I enquired to the Department of transport and got the following reply :

The requirements of the Road Vehicles (Construction and use) Reglations 1986, as amended (C&U) are that "the tyre shall be designed and manufactured adequately to support the maximum permitted weight for the axle when the vehicle is is driven at the speed shown in column 3 of Table II -----". This speed is the prescribed maximum speed in the UK, which, for a car is 70mph.

A further requirement is that the tyre shall be suitable for the use to which the vehicle is being put.

In the case of a car (which includes estate cars, 4x4s and so on), provided that the tyre is capable of the load and speed requirements it is not an offence to use a non "E" or "e" marked tyre on the road. It is, however, illegal for anyone to sell you, or otherwise supply you with, a non "E" or "e" marked tyre for use on a road-going car.

Regards

---- So they can be used

Dave

Im just about to purchase new 13inchers, and would really like to know if i put 7x13 with 205 yokos on the back vs. 6x13 with 185, running on a 1400k road sport, will it upset the balance ?

If not thats what i'd prefer

The original 1400 K Series Roadsport Prototype

My Caterham Website

Edited by - 1400rs_0of30 on 31 Jan 2002 09:47:22

It won't kill the handling. I just think it's easier steering with the throttle with 185s on the back with something of the power of a 1400SS. It certainly doesn't *need* anything more.

So don't fret too much.

As I said though, if you carry a spare, get the same size all round and probably stick to 21Rs (symmetric).

The bigger rears will also be heavier and more costly. Not great attributes if it doesn't have a pay off elsewhere...

Presumably the bigger rears are to fill the arches more? If you're going from large wheels to 13s it makes the car look meaner anyway, especially if you choose the colour wisely...