Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Hispec or standard caliper + what pads

Das

I am in the process of finishing off a "Project" , the previous owner has partly rebuilt the car and purchased a new set of disks + remanufactured rear calipers and new front hispec 4 pot ultralights , I have only read negative comments on here about the hispec units , I also have the original calipers which look in good condition other than needing a clean.

I don't have pads for either the standard or Hispec units.

Should I use orignal calipers or Hispec ?

Is anybody happy with Hispec ?

What type of pads should I use ?

I also have a brake bias valve if that makes any differance ! 🤔

There is nothing wrong with the HiSpec units - some people have had problems dealing with the company (promised lead times etc...) but they have been excellent with me and I have a set on my 7 waiting to be tested..... Nice, small, light & good price. *thumbup*

I've got the HiSpec 'Caterham fit' Ultralight-4's (not race). I don't have a particularly-inspiring pedal firmness - even with a race MC.

They *are* a lot lighter than the standard clappers and look quite nice. I've only tried Pagids (actually, not true - but I had the Mintex pads in there for such a short time that I can't recall them) - one particular annoyance on the road is how badly they squeel when the car is just about to come to a halt - mine are embarassingly-loud. Herd-of-taxis loud...

I've tried everything - copperslip on the backs, stick-on anti-squeel pads, chamfering the leading edge - I think it's just down to a combination of the pads being very loose in the clappers and the choice of friction material - they only start squeeling once they've got a bit of heat in them...

I'd give them a go if you've got them already - start off with something like Mintex 1144s (the pads are Elise pattern, so not horribly expensive).

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com