Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Thrown it OUT!

sjwb

idea.gifThought I would check the sparklers at the weekend and upon removing the HT cover, I thought 'this seems heavy'sad.gif. So I weighed it, 300 grm! Instant weight saving, it is now in the cupboard.

It was the lousiest casting I have ever seen anyway. Odd to crow about lightness and then fit a crude lump of cast aluminium on top of the engine.

I'm looking for other FREE weight saving ideas now.

Steve B

i don't think i know you personally, so apologies if i'm preaching to the converted, but i figure we cut weight to go quicker... and the best thing to make you go quicker...

is training.

i've seen a daewoo hatchback, driven by an instructor, out-cornering a superlight at brands. the sl wasn't being driven particularly badly, just by someone who was not very experienced.

it was a sobering experience, to say the least.

certainly, if this doesn't apply to you swjb, i know there are plenty out there worried about set-up, engine spec and the like, when the first thing they should worry about is their technique.

me ? i'm still clueless.. wink.gif but i'm saving for a day either at millbrook, or bruntingthorpe.

j

Jam,

Couldn't agree more, but I was really refering to all this carbon stuff that people buy for little gain (other than cosmetic) - and here we have a saving in something that serves no real purpose. I mean, we have front fenders retained by bridge grade ironwork and then fit carbon items - beats meconfused.gif. How much money could be saved by putting the pilot on a diet God only knows.

Trackdays / training? Brilliantteeth.gifteeth.gif, that's the way to sort the men out etc. It is good to see humble vehicles out performing the exotic.

Steve B

yes, it is a funny old game, this carbon malarchy, to the extent of ignoring all else .. although a bit of the ol' grey weave is damn sexy.... teeth.gif

did i really just think that ?! wink.gif

Edited by - jam mad on 30 Jan 2002 14:44:34

Hi sjwb.

Have you got a K series, and are referring to the aluminium centre plate that covers the spark plugs/plug leads?

If you are, i have removed this as i had a rattle, but found out that the plug leads had a tendency to remove themselves from the end of the plugs, so had to put it back on.

If you are referring to a different engine then apologies for my rambling on.

Regards

Daren.

If a plug lead does drop off:

1) Quickly release the bonnet catches

2) Remove bonnet and lean against car so it doesn't blow over

3) Grab errant plug and:

4) Upon waking up, on your back, in the middle of the hard shoulder, with a numb arm:

5) Switch off the engine and plug the smegger back on with the other hand.

6) Wait unitl feeling returns to your arm before replacing bonnet and driving off.

Edited by - simos on 30 Jan 2002 15:28:16