Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

brake pad change

N Blandin

If they are std sierra jobbies, then yes. Info below assumes Sierra calipers

There are 2 15mm bolts at the back of the caliper.

You wuold also do well to obtain a brake windback tool - Halfords stock them, or borrow from a fellow 7er - as you will need to wind the pistons back into the calipers prior to installing the new pads.

Be careful when you lift the caliper off the disc, as the lines to the caliper are usually 'solid' and can bend / kink quite easily.

Why take the whole caliper off? Why not just undo the 2 bolts holding the caliper claw to the carrier. It's then an easy job to wind the piston back, refit the pads & replace the claw.

I must adit that I used to remove the whole caliper until I saw a guy from Hyperion change the pads this way in 5 minutes; both sides!

If you don't have a wind back tool, then some thin nosed pliers work just fine if you're angry enough - took a couple of minutes of swearing each side. I thought I'd never see one of these sierra jobbies when I got rid of my Chimaera all those years ago! Talk about blast from the past...

I did mine recently and used the disc change tool from my angle grinder. It never occurred to me to remove the whole caliper plus carrier - they are designed to split for pad changes after all. 13mm ring spanner or socket plus 15mm open ender required, and it's nice and easy.