Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting new front brake disks

Shaun_E

• Support Team

My new vented disks arrived today (had been out of stockl). What's the easiest way to fit them? Obviously the caliper has to come off but what then?

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Hub off( remove split pin from castle bolt undo castle bolt) . Undo bolts at the back that hold on the disc. New disc on, replace hub.replace caliper *thumbup* *wink*

RED 2.0 HPC

Edited by - Gambo on 9 May 2006 16:45:10

Shaun,

Please don't take this the wrong way...............but if you need to ask what to do when messing with brakes, it begs the question, "should you actually be messing with brakes" *eek* 🤔

Brian

Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

--Victor Hugo

• Support Team

Cheers Gambo.

Brian - brakes aren't that scary *tongue*. I just wanted some advice on the easiest way to get the discs off, having not yet looked at how to do it. When I stripped/rebuilt my car it included removing and refitting the rear calipers, fitting new rear pads, removing/refitting all the brake pipes and refilling/bleeding the brake system. I just haven't taken the front disks off before. Hope this sets your mind at rest - trust me I won't be putting coppaslip on the friction surface 😬.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Shaun,

When you are unbolting/bolting the discs from the hub, it helps to sit the hub back in the inside of the removed wheel face down on the ground with the wheel studs in position through the wheel. It just keeps the hub from moving whilst you are undoing the bolts, especially if you sit on the tyre whilst doing it................and it's actually quite comfortable. *cool*

Just don't do what a friend of mine did many years ago whilst sitting astride the wheel. The socket slipped off the bolt head and errrr, hit him in a very vulnerable position, especially if you are a bloke 😳 *eek* *eek* *eek* 😬

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Some stuff here that you might find of use.

The trick mentioned regarding popping the hub into the wheel to allow you to get leverage on the bolts is highly recommended.

Also - make sure the mating face between the hub and the disc is very, very clean.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

• Support Team

Great tip about dropping the hub into a wheel *thumbup* - shame I didn't read it until this morning ☹️. I only got one side done last night so at least that will make the job easier for the other side. I did clean the mating surface since the new disc was a very close fit.

Paul - yes I am a bloke so will try to avoid hitting myself in a vulnerable position 😬.

Yellow SL *cool* #32