Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which Petrol

Snapper W

I've recently joined the band of Seven owners with a 1600 Supersport (1997 Cat version - unmodified). I've heard various stories on which petrol to run it on from standard unleaded (95 octane)to lead replacement. The previous owner ran it on standard unleaded - is this the recommended option and what are the pros and cons of some of the recent higher octane unleaded fuels such as Optimax?

Snapper

I agree with paul, standard unleaded is fine for the road, but if you are doing a trackday or a sprint super unleaded is better.. thumbsup.gif

New Superlight Has Arrived teeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gif The Smiles Just Gets Bigger wink.gif

Edited by - Snapper on 29 Jan 2002 23:48:20

Edited by - Snapper on 29 Jan 2002 23:49:00

And just in case.........NEVER id=red> put LRP in a cat equipped car. It'll knacker the cat. There is no benefit to LRP except for the increased octane, BUT, as different fuel companies use different additives to emulate the missing lead, you shouldn't mix LRP's from different suppliers. The jury is still out on Optimax, but I do use it for track days and sprints, as the higher ocatne helps prevent detonation.

Sorry if you knew that, but better safe than sorrywink.gif

Snapper,

Same spec, same year. I bought 2nd hand from Caterham.

I asked them and they said although 97 Octane is recommended in the book, 95 is OK for road use (but switch to 97 as per Paul's comments)

I've used bog standard unleaded for 18 months with no problems (all road use) and only filled her up with 97 once (planned to do track day but had to cancel at last minutesad.gif)

Steve Campbell

P889 GRR