Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Dry sump tank design...

rgrigsby

I run a Brise dry sump tank in front of the engine on my Duratec and I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on were else it could go. I've seen some with the shortened footwell and the cylinder style dry sump tank were the footwell would be but ideally I'd like to keep the footwell.

I guess a dry sump tank needs to be tall rather than wide? otherwise it could go in front of the scuttle.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Thanks for the ideas guys, I've had a look around the engine bay and there is a little bit of space in front of the footwell on the passenger side but the drivers side is very close to the exhaust primaries. I suspect a tank that goes completly onto the scuttle might be the way to go as then it would be easy to remove for cleaning etc, the problem with something in front of the passenger footwell is that it would be under the throttle bodies making it quite hard to remove.

Still I've got a while to think about this yet as I don't plan to do anything till next year!!

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Nothing but it I wanted to fit Freestyle pushrod suspension it simply won't fit with the current tank.

Anyway I've now found some pictures of Dave Jacksons dry sump tank but I'm slightly confused, I can only see two pipes going into it, one breather and the other one I suspect is the return feed but I can't see the main feed out.. Anyone have any ideas? the pictures are all here although I can't see to link to them directly.

I've dropped Dave an email so I'm sure he will explain it all 😬

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 7 May 2006 11:31:13

Hi *smile*

What you cant see in the photo here is that underneath the scuttle the tank continues and rests 10mm off the top of the gearbox *wink*. This holds a further 3.5 L of oil. The outlet - feed to the engine pump is located on this lower section , just above the gearbox . This also prevents surge.

The tank itself holds 9l but i run the entire system with 7.5- 8L of oil . As you know about 1.25 L constantly lives in the engine .

In the lower section I also have a temp sensor .

The whole tank is retained using the M6 rivnuts that were for the heater . The tank cvan be lifted out in a few minutes. To drain the oil I simply disconnect the hose to the engine inlet on the Caterham dry sump pan .

Dave

Ahh I had a feeling that might be the case, so you've just cut away a section of the scuttle. Hmm seems like a good plan and I guess that shouldn't be a problem even though I have a different gearbox. Some measuring maybe needed though to check!

My oil temp sensor is tapped of the remote oil filter housing at the moment so I could probably stick with that.

It looks like a good solution to the problem, another thing to add the shopping list 😳 thanks for the info Dave

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 7 May 2006 12:03:08

Question:

What is wrong with the Caterham bellhousing tank?

This is what I'm consdiering using because I have a heater and a long passenger footwell, both of which I wish to maintain.

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Exactly my thought Rob, and my car is going to be a road and track car, dry sumping for extra peace of mind on track over the Apollo and the extra ground clearance on road.

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬