Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spare Wheel carrier modification

rynicolson

Ok... at long last this is next on the list of jobs, help required on a few incidentals. I plan to light the number plate, one the bracket is removed from below... anyone know of a suitable light fitting / supplier / web site? How can I adhere this to the rear without riveting to the rear frame (I hate making holes in the car!).

Secondly (or is this thirdly?) should I cut the frame off with a hacksaw or has anyone a better idea for cutting a straight edge. Once off do I try to force paint into the stub or use ample dosing of waxoil? I'm rarely going to refit the carrier, so plan to epoxy the linking pins into the carrier frame and tap into the studs for refitting. Do you think this will suffice, or is there another way to hold the frame onto the studs to prevent taping... again more holes in my view = more areas prone to corrosion.

thanks in advance

Tricks

Y57 CDS "Mutley"

Use a pipe cutter to get a good clean cut.

I'd get plently of whatever your favoured rust inhibitor is into the holes left.

Mount the light above the numberplate using the hole the spare wheel holder used, so you don't make any more holes. The number plate could be glued/velcroed on.

Dave H

I made a 90° bracket with some ali sheet, pop riveted onto the chassis tube... I know you hate it, but there are pop rivets all around!

I used the plastic yellow badge of my previous Caterham steering wheel (Mountney) on the hole. It is exactly the same diameter. Looks the dog...

Pierre

Richard, I cut mine off last weekend.

1) Use a pipe cutter -cut the carrier approx 15/20mm approx the body

2) I have used old number plate light and therefore removed this from carrier. Disconnected the existing wiring from the number plate light, pulled the wiring back through the carrier leg - you should find the wiring enters the rear frame of the car hard up against the petrol tank. Pull the wiring back out of this

3) Decided to fix the number plate over the spare wheel located hole

4) Thread the aforementioned numberr plate lighting cable up through the boot and out through the now unused spare wheel locating/fastening hole.

5) I then drilled 2 holes either side of the large hole and fastened the number plate light using 2 bolts and nuts. Note you have to use a couple of washers behind the number plate light as the curvature of the rear panel forces the number plate light slightly proud but this is disguised by the rubber backing to the number plate light.

6) Get some number plate sticky tape fasteners and fix number plate.

7) Tidy up paint on the stubs of the carrier legs remaining

8) Get 2 rubber bungs and fix in stub leg holes

Hope this makes sense

Note if you contact Chelspeed I am sure he has some great neat bungs - that is where I got mine from.

Good luck

I've also cut mine off (spare wheel carrier.) I don't intend useing it again, so i cut it off with a hacksaw and trimmed the exccess off with the edge of a small grinding disc. Looks tidy once painted, its now covered over by the no plate. Small piece of angled ally rivited to the tubelar frame for the no plate light. To get over the whole in the back and this is one of the best methods i've seen, Volvo black plastic slim hole cover with retaining clip, and then painted.

Its now beginning to look and go like a S/L.

C7 CJG.

Thanks all.... Chelspeed... don't worry you kindly sent me some last year (yes I still haven't got round to it!)... Ok going to use a number of these suggestions together, going to miount the no. plate very low (just above the bottom of the rear panel, so if anyone has a spare badge they want to sell off to mask over the wheel bolt hole I have £ waiting!, Pierre think I'll go down the alloy sheet bracket idea... you don't have a photo do you? What light fitting did you use, I assume it throws light up... not down on yours?

Thanks to all!

Tricks

Y57 CDS "Mutley"

Hello !

Wahey, you're all taking the spare-wheel-carriers off ?

May I kindly ask: PLEASE, an I have the spare-wheel attaching stuff? The long bolt, the Y-piece, the whole caboodle (apart from the hacked-off steel-tube stuff, obviously) ??

PLEEASE !?!? Donation to NtL, payment ??

Help ! :-) (It's for 6x13" wheels, btw.)

Cheers ! - Karsten