Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Car Now sorted - you won't belive what was wrong

Simon.Rogers1

Well after giving the car well my head a break for 10 days (cos i was so peed off) took out the engine again 5th time (on top of the 7 trial fitts while manufacturing the gearbox mounts). Clutch out, flywheel off. Not much oil on either, new seal that was previously installed was in perfect nik. Def no oil coming from there. While i was pondering i noted that the oil was predominantly below the sump/block join.

So yesterday i removed the sump. Now i replaced this 18mnths ago with plenty of silicone. After the bolts were removed it nearly fell off *mad* On the other hand I had now found the cause of my toubles *smile*

Never mind the detail but here is my warning. Dave J and Dave Warren take note as I know you both use the stuff. Wurth Industrial Cleaner - citrus/solvent concoction. Its wonderful stuff - removes nearly all dirt grime, oil and SILICONE. When the engine came out the first time I gave it a good clean. Wurth cleaner everywhere. Well you know those recesses in the block just inside of the bellhousing dowells. I presume although i thought i had dried them out when cleaning must have retained some of the cleaner as when the sump was removed the oil was clearly through the joint.

So just be sure where you use the stuff.

The positive is I have found the cause.

Just time to put it all back in this morning ready for a try out tomorrow.

Steve G is however currently booked up to Mid June so mapping it is a problem. I know he will try to fit me in. 😬

Giving it some more Welly - or maybe something else

Ohhhhh I'll do some tests on its silicon removal potential *eek*

I use the anerobic sealant on the sump pan > engine face . I'll check this with teh wurth cleaner *smile*

*thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* Glad you found the problem tho *cool* and that it was nothing more serious *biggrin*

Sorry to butt in but if we're talking ali block and sump then Hylomar was develpoed by Rolls Royce just for ali-ali joints.

I have a slight fear of silicone on engine joints. A small blob in the engine can cause huge amounts of damage. And I've seen engines totally wrecked and the mechanics wondering why, until I've blown the oilways through to retrieve the blob of silicone.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

Simon

Good to hear you have discovered the fault and you can now move forward with your car *thumbup* Knowing Steve G he will do his best to fit you in and will no doubt have a cancellation or two in the coming weeks.

I look forward to seeing it on track soon.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*