Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vauxhall 16V 2ltr Rod dimensions.

cdg

Could anyone tell me the dimensions of the Vauxhall 16V 2ltr connecting rod, as this is not an engine I have ever worked on. I need to know:

Length between centres

Width of big end housing

Crankpin diameter.

I have tried QED, SBD, but no-one available to tell me!

Many thanks,

Chris.

Length between centres - std 143mm (Peter, 148's are not std)

Width of big end housing - approx 24.20mm on std crank - Rod endfloat should be 0.100mm

Crankpin diameter 48.970mm - 48.988mm

Why do you need to konw?? This isfo is best obtained from Arrow Engineering or Swindon Racing Engines - details on my site below in the links section.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Yep, Omega slipper pistons. The gudgeon pins right up high and very short, you have to take the oil ring off to remove the pin. The pistons are dead short so the rods are longer to compensate, the skirts are also cut away.

Pistons weigh 257g bare and the pins 83g. The benefits are reduced weight and reduced friction due to less skirt. Downside is that you need a special set of rods and the pistons rock more so allegedly wear more but I haven't seen any sign of this.

What do you mean by compression height? When I build the engine I measure the height of the flat bit of the piston above the block but the intruder bit sticks up a lot more.

I then measure the volume above the block (by dropping the piston exactly 5mm down the bore, pipetting the volume left and calculating the difference from measured and pi x bore x bore x 0.25 x 0.05). From this, combustion chamber volume (more pipetting) and head gasket thickness you can calculate the head skimming you need to get 12.0:1.

Once again, very many thanks for your replies.

Chelspeed,

"Compression height" refers to the dimension from the centre of the Gudgeon pin to the top face of the piston, not including the "intruder" bit. If std. are 30.5mm then you must have pistons with a compression height of 25.5mm, as your rods are 5mm longer than std. (or thereabouts). So they should work a treat in my monster x-flow... (Don't ask!)

Thanks for your input.

chris.

Interesting. I've got a spare set of 86mm pistons going cheap. I've never bothered advertising cos I thought the need for special rods would put anyone off. But if they'll fit something else that doesn't apply. Interested?

I'll measure the pin to deck height tonight but as you say it should be 5mm less than standard.