Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Kangaroo hops - not caused by my right foot!

Anton

Last night drove fairly briskly down and out of the company multi-storey (3 floors) carpark, mostly in third gear, stopped for crossing traffic from the other carparks and pulled away in first. Car leapt forward, then almost stopped - typical kangaroo hop except I was holding the throttle pedal quite steady - repeated twice then I moved to second gear and it was repeated again, at which point I took the car out of gear and my foot off the accelerator. Revs rose twice to about 4000 than the engine died. I popped it into 3rd still rolling and it restared. No more kangaroo hops after that. *eek*

Anybody any ideas?

LEO 3eggs

Another Slightly Vider SeVen

Myles - sounds interesting and logical - where do I find the sensor and what does it look like?

Odd thing - I repeated the performance last night with one difference only - I didn't have to wait for any traffic on the T junction - just drove out without stopping. And it didn't kangaroo hop......

LEO 3eggs

Another Slightly Vider SeVen

Anton,

The intermittant nature of your problem is far from being inconsistant with an electrical problem of some sort.

I'm trying to find a suitable picture in my archive and haven't come up with anything yet. There is a less-than-ideal image at the bottom of the Eliseparts engine-sensors page here

Basically, the standard Rover item is a black and white plastic banjo-shaped item with a two (or is it three -probably three) pin socket at one end.

If you look at your throttle system (be it single TB, Jenveys or whatever), at one end of the pivot around which the throttle rotates, you should find one of these doohickies...

They are stupidly-expensive (£50ish) - and at that price it's cheaper to buy an old 48mm tb and pinch the TPS from there.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Posted on behalf of a work colleague who has just picked up his first 7 - an SV with 140BHP X-Power:

"I find that if I crawl along in 1st gear in the car park and then just touch the throttle it does the kangaroo thing - so I'm thinking that the low revs are the issue i.e. the accelerator is too sensitive in the low rev range. I found that slipping the clutch helped it - but I just want to find out if this is normal behaviour or not?"

Thks,

Robin