Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Spigot Bearing - Removal and refitting

mav

Mav

same comment as Stu with regard to the weeping oil after removing the flywheel. Don't go removing the crank seal unless the leak is from the seal itself. *thumbup*

I got my spigot sleeve and bearing to suit 1800 crank/5 speed gearbox from QED tel 01509412317 part no 506083 and 106080 respectively total £17 + vat (2003 prices)

Malcolm

• Leadership Team
Only part I may be stuck for is if i need a replacement sleeve for the bearing, which is a Caterham only part and they are not in stock, as they are not needed very often (the sleeve or the bearing)...

Mav - the sleeve is usually available ex-stock from QED (but you may not need it?), as is the spigot bearing *thumbup*

You are unlikely to need to replace the carnk end oil seal - as stated just collapse the old spigot shell and draw out - when collapsed you should be able to get a reasonable purchase on it. There's no need to remove the flywheel.

Fit the sleeve first - tap in gently with a block of wood, followed by the new bearing, again using a block of wood. I would suggest that the 2 components are rather more delicate than to use only a hard material to drive in (in the absence of a correct tool) - this has been discussed at length - do a search. It's also worth considering whether to use some thread lock on the outer surfaces of each - the dimensions can vary slightly and it's not a good idea to have it floating around. Also the bearing fits with the oil seal on the outside.

I suspect you are thinking you have a bigger job on your hands than is actually the case *thumbup*

Stu.

Thanks Guys. Looks like it could be replaced over the weekend.

Had similar info back on tour 7 mail list re the oil weeping.

Flywheel is off, so it should make the job easier. Oil Seal is ordered anyway, as are new flywheel bolts. Hopefully I'll go and collect a new spigot bearing this morning form the local Ford parts place.

If I get stuck are you available at all over the weekend Stu?

Cheers

Martin *thumbup*

• Leadership Team

Sorry Mav - struggling this weekend. Sarah's gone to Snowdonia with some friends for their annual piss-up (4 nurses *eek*) - I'm at home with the kids, the decorating, etc etc. Give me a call though if there's anything I can misdirect you with verbally 😬

Stu.

Gareth

It is located in the centre of the crankshaft at the flywheel end.It supports the distal end of the gearbox first motion (i.e. input) shaft. There will be a speed difference between the crankshaft and the FMS in neutral and during gearshift.

Malcolm

Edited by - Englishmaninwales on 8 May 2006 15:33:47

• Leadership Team
It supports the proximal end of the gearbox first motion (i.e. input) shaft
Malcolm - do you really have to medical terminology *eek* Can we have a second opinion 😬

Stu.

So the sleeve and bearing went back in last night, and on with the fly wheel and clutch (Thanks to Mahatma for the Clutch Alignment tool).

CRB replaced and engine back in (thanks to Dad for helping out).

All wiring back in place, as is the induction and exhaust.

Just to re fit the rad and the oil pressure line to the guage, refill with coolant and then its all done 😬

All done, cooling system bled using my tried and tested method. No leaks or drips.

We have gears (as much as I can test on on the drive), so off out for a shakedown blat. I'll report back later...

Hi Mav, Everyone.

I am in process of just fitting this as well, i have got the bearing into sleeve ok but wont seem to go in the end on the crank, would a gentle sanding of the inside of the crank be ok & the same on the outside of the sleeve & then loctite the sleev/bearing into the end of the crank ???

Mark,

I took the dremmel to the inside of the crank, just to clean it up a little first.

Cleand it out and fitted the sleeve into the crank, using a suitably sized socket as a drift.

Then I took the dremmel to the inside of the sleeve.

Then using another suitable socket, I fitted the bearing...

Edited by - mav on 14 May 2006 13:47:07