Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Spigot Bearing - Removal and refitting

mav

How is it done? Will it just pull out?

Is it a push fit for the new one, ot is it an engine to bits and use a press?

Anyone know a part number I can use at a motor factors to obtain a replacement?

Mav, is it a roller bearing type? If so it should pull out. If you have a new one you can always destroy the old by collapsing it with a screwdriver and hammer. If you remove flywheel it's quite easy.

However are you sure it needs replacing?

Ed to answer 2nd question. It will push in with a little help from a drift.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

Edited by - nverona on 5 May 2006 13:28:41

I once read that you could remove the spigot bearing by filling with grease then using a close fitting drift, whack the end with a hammer and the hydraulic pressure created behind the bearing will pop it out. Well I tried it and all I succeeded in doing was getting a face full of grease as it squirted out at high velocity. *eek* 😬

I would go with Normans suggestion of breaking it up to remove it. I've done this with great success on many occasions.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Prise the old one out using a scewdriver or drift. Be careful fitting the new one use a socket or something of a similar diam and GENTLY tap in. Lightly grease the bearing and when refitting the gearbox smear a small amount of grease on the end of the input shaft.

Phil S7SVN

Thanks Guys. Looks like I might have more work than I bargined for

As I removed one of the fly wheel bolts, I found it to be covered in engine oil. ☹️

There was no trace of this in the belhousing, the clutch facing side, or indeed the back of the flywheel.

I assume this will mean a complete engine rebuild as the crank seal will need replacing, which means the car is now indefinately off the road ☹️ ☹️ ☹️ ☹️ ☹️ ☹️ ☹️ ☹️

Mav

Sorry to hear about the engine ☹️

IIRC you have a k series and if so the spigot shaft bearing fits into a very fine sleeve that fits into the crank. If you can get the bearing out without damaging the sleeve you will be OK but the bearing is a very tight fit and after damaging one bearing whilst trying to fit a new one I used a belt sander to fettle it slightly to help ease it into place. If you damage the sleeve you will obviously have to replace this and I always fit the sleeve before fitting the bearing.

Good luck and I hope your back on the road soon *thumbup*

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

Martin,

surely it is worth just replacing the crankshaft rear seal if the engine is sound rather than a full strip.

Take a look in the rover engine manual for rear seal fitting details.

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

What am I failing to understand...

On the other side of the flywheel is... the inside of the engine that should be full of oil *confused*

I've just splurged 100 quid on the Sealey AK714 blind bearing extractor set that does the spigot bearing job properly and (more to the point) quickly. I see a fair few of these so it is money well spent.

It's 123 😬

So far...

Rear crank oil seal LUF000050 £19.58

Flywheel bolts TSK10005 £0.77

Spigot bearing Ford part 1596468 £9.35

Clutch driven plate CP2257-9 £35.94

Total parts cost so far £81.65

Oil seal and flywheel bolts are ordered. Collect next week. Bearing is in stock at my Ford agent. Driven plate was in stock when I checked with Questmead. Only part I may be stuck for is if i need a replacement sleeve for the bearing, which is a Caterham only part and they are not in stock, as they are not needed very often (the sleeve or the bearing)...

Peter C:

What am I failing to understand...

On the other side of the flywheel is... the inside of the engine that should be full of oil

I've just splurged 100 quid on the Sealey AK714 blind bearing extractor set that does the spigot bearing job properly and (more to the point) quickly. I see a fair few of these so it is money well spent.

1. There should be no oil showing on the outside of the crank seal - regardless of wether the flywheel is there or not - Correct?

2. £100 on a tool to remove the bearing is excatly what I don't need right now, I'm struggling to find the 80 - 90 quid I need to do a temporary get it back up and running job, let alone the couple of hundred I need to spend to do it all right (new driven plate + Cover + all seals and Gaskets + head bolt set + LW Flywheel + fit all the bits I've got in the garage + emerald mapping session).

1. There should be no oil showing on the outside of the crank seal - regardless of wether the flywheel is there or not - Correct?
Correct. As Ian has said, replacement requires no engine dismantling.

Be wary when fitting the new spigot bearing. The fit is very tight. I use a spiraband on a dremel to dress the inside of the sleeve. Get it very clean afterwards and make sure you have a good smear of lube on it so it doesn't pick up on insertion. If it stops moving, get it back out and work out whether it twisted out of alignment or was just too tight and needs more dremeling. Test with a clutch alignment tool at the end of this process. If the tool doesn't go in in one go, the bearing is scrap and you must start again... Hence why I have the AK714

You're a sick man Mr Whitley, laughing at the misfortune of others *wink*

I have to admit, though, that even I laughed at the time and it was some 30 years ago when I was young enough to still experience the emotion of embarrassment. 😬

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬