Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Electrical problem (lights) 95 K series

jono

First dark blat home last night after visiting a friend...

Here are the symptoms..

The side lights and instrument lights come on but the low beam doesn't. The high beam will only come on when pressing the flasher switch but does not come on when flicking down the main beam switch. The lights rocker switch does not illuminate. Had to drive 45 minutes holding down the flasher switch *eek*

I recently installed SVC small headlights with 'Xenon' upgrade and they were working fine (and boy do they make a difference at night!)

Any ideas folks - is the high beam likely to run through it's own fuse or could the switch be bu66ered??

IIRC the rocker switch light is in series with the feed to the lights so if that doesn't come on there's nothing going to the lights. Either there's no feed to the switch or the switch is knackered - as I'm a tight 🙆🏻 I took mine apart, cleaned it up, and it works fine now.

Jono

The fault is one of 3 things:

1. The headlights switch is malfunctioning. You should get +12v on the BLUE wire at the back of the headlights switch when you switch it ON to headlights. This wire feeds the relay input.

2. The centre terminal wire (BLUE) on the dip/main switch is broken/fallen off/corroded. You should have +12v there with the headlight switch ON. (This wire comes from the output of the relay).

3. The headlight relay is malfunctioning or misseated. When you switch on the headlights switch (to headlights) you put +12v from the BLUE wire of the headlights switch on to the coil of the relay and thereby switch the relay ON.

The relay then puts +12v directly from the battery on to the centre wire of the dip/main switch. So if the dip/main centre terminal is not receiving +12v or it's broken off then nothing will function other than the flasher switch (see below).

The headlight fuses are on the output side of the switch and would both have to blow to kill dip and mainbeam. (The mainbeam fuse at least is working otherwise the mainbeams wouldn't come on with the flasher switch).

The flasher switch, on the other hand, receives its power directly from the battery (a brown/blue thickish wire). So that's why your mainbeams function when you hold the flasher switch ON as that power doesn't come through the headlights switch/relay/dipswitch combination.

So, in summary, it is either the headlights switch playing up, the centre terminal of the dip/main switch playing up or the relay has failed/misseated.

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here