Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Thanks from ECR

ECR

To all those who offered words of wisdom and encouragement during my (unsucessful) search for my missing two cylinders at Cadwell. A particular thanks to Martin and Viv who were golden throughout the two days, even disassembling their car to enable me to swap components. I also had great service from all at McMillan Motorsport who dropped everything on Wednesday morning to try to get me running (we believed that they had found the problem untill we tried it under load on the track).

Despite a very tiring and frustrating two days I wouldn't have missed being reminded how nice 7 people can be ..

Thanks also to all those that offered me drives of their cars, Delbert, Keith J,and Danny spring to mind and quite a few others whom I can't quite remember now ( I had a lot going on !)

I will let you know when I find the cause of the problem.

Roger

Well...

I worked on it most of the day putting it back into the condition I started with. The problem was still there.

So I cut the lawn ....

When I got back to the car I decided to test the wiring entering the low tension plug to the coil. I tugged on all three wires and the last one pulled out of the plug. This means that the locking tang had not engaged, with the possibility that the feed wire to the coil was just resting on the contact. I bent the tang out and refitted the plug. The engine immediately sounded a lot happier and revved freely. When I inspected the plugs they all looked very similar too. I feel that this might be the solution but I need to test it under load before I break open the Vimto.

Watch this space ...

Roger

Well my caution proved well founded. Despite tidying the wiring, the problem was still there on Tuesday (thanks to the Peugeot club for a few test laps at Curborough). I was nearly out of ideas so I rang the Doctor.

Alex arrived at 9:00 on Wednesday night and we then started from scratch. Nothing realy turned up till I started to replace no 3 injector. On removing the injector I noted a small piece of debris on the tip. Further examination by Alex (eagle eyes Wong) revealed a very dirty basket prefilter. We removed one of Alex's injectors and fitted it at no 3 in my car. The engine immediately sounded much better. We then investigated the other 3 injectors. All of them were showing signs of dirty prefilters. As it was past midnight at this stage we finished for the night.

The following day I took the injectors to my local Bosch agent and had them cleaned and fitted new prefilters. The car sounded really crisp.

Today (Thursday) I took the car to Curborough to try it out (Many thanks to the Warwickshire chapter of the WSCC for allowing me to join them for a few laps).

Problem solved !

I think that I must have had a tank full of dirty fuel on my way to Cadwell. At low revs in the paddock the fuel flow was such that it could pass through the filters. At higher flows on the circuit the crud was pulled into the gauze gradualy blocking off the flow. When I got back to the paddock the crud floated away from the gauze and the problem was not so bad. The difficulty was that different filters/injectors became blocked/cleared each time I went out so it was hard work trying to isolate the problem.

Vimto now open !

Thanks Alex !