Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dry Sumped Steel Crossflow Engine/Parts

WDervish

I have for sale the following steel crossflow parts from a genuine 9000rpm 190hp engine

12 Bolt Steel Crank Std/Std

Steel Rods - 5.23 in

Ultralight Steel Flywheel for 7.25 in clutch

Accralite 83.5 Pistons - 44.75 comp height - nearly new

Block 711m 83.5 mm

Kent 264 cam & Followers

Duplex, new chain & tensioner

Steel Posted Rockers

Flat Head 41mm In 36mm Ex - unleaded seats

Dry Sump Kit (Pan, Rocker cover & brand new cam driven pump)

Gasket Sets :-

Full engine gaskets inc head gasket for up to 84mm bore (Ajusa)

Plus:

Alternator, Starter, Water pump, Dizzy

Exhaust Manifold 5/8 in dia - for Caterham

Inlet manifold for 40's - 48's

E-mail or 'phone on

Home 01280 709862

Mobile 07970 103170

Please somebody buy this complete engine - it seems such a shame to split it.

Chris

I agree - someone should buy the whole engine.

I in association with HT Racing built an 1824cc X/Flow up to a similar spec as this a few years ago and got 182bhp at the wheels (208bhp at the flywheel) - only after years of development and a lot of investment though !

Dave,

Crikey -208bhp! Last I read it was (only!) 199 flywheel... Building a "big" x-flow myself, and am hoping for 190+bhp. It made 180 on the dyno as a 1700, and I have done a lot more work on the head since then. Not sure I can match 208 though!

Chris.

Engine sold BUT the following parts are still available :

12 Bolt x-folw Ultralight flywheel & ring gear for 7 1/4 inch clutch

7 1/4 inch Twin sintered plate AP Racing lug drive clutch for 1" 23 spline (5/6 speed

Starter motor

Alternator

Exhaust Manifold 5/8 inch o/d

Chris

Chris - With 4>2>1 manifold it showed 199bhp at the flywheel.

I tried a 4>1 manifold and it increased to 208bhp at the flywheel (182 at the wheels) but lost a hugh amount of power through the midrange. So much so that it was consistently 1/3rd of a second slower over a 1/4 mile in the Fiesta.....so I reverted back to the 4>2>1.

My 4>2>1 had 1 5/8th inch primaries 12 inches long and 2 inch secondaries 24 inches long running into a 2.5 inch system.

The exhaust manifold design and dimensions are integral to getting the best all round performance from a crossflow - Suits the 8 valve configuration and high valve acceleration cam profile of a 264.

Wish i'd kept the engine now as I reckon high 11's over a quarter mile would have been just about achievable in a lightweight Caterham with that spec.

Dave,

I remember your engine being for sale - I wanted it desperately (!)but was living in America at the time. I read that it had a very "trick" cylinder head, but which block did you use? Did you keep the 272 cam or was that too extreme?

Regards

Chris.

Chris,

The cylinder head was trick to the extent that Roland Hayes developed it over 3 years and it utilised the wider Pinto valve springs which resolved all problems in this area although it didn't have offset valves. Special enough to sell it to someone in Jersey for £750 ! It also had one of two fully integrated rocker assemblies made by Mike Barnby (R500 wheels) which along with tubular pushrods from the states (sourced via Arias - even experimented with carbon fibre ones for a while !) gave an incredibly rigid valve train. Incidentally Mike's selling his X/Flow with the other fully integrated rocker assembly and pushrods along with his own gear drive which really is something special.

I used an AX block which had to be linered when a bore broke through with 86.5mm pistons.

The steel 272 cam gave more than the 264 although I knocked it out 6 months after installing it becaue someone pursuaded me to try 0 viscosity oil !

Other bits of the engine now reside in Barbados and Australia !

Edited by - edmandsd on 30 Jan 2002 19:19:01

Dave,

If I'd had my way the whole engine would have resided in Virginia!

Thanks for the info. May I ask who linered your block for you, as I may need to go this route myself.

re. the oil;

I tried 0 viscosity oil (Motul) for one season- didn't knock the cam out, but absolutely pissed from every orifice/seal known to man!

Regards,

Chris.

New ones cost arround £1000 (inc vat), and then upwards to 1600 ish.

Half that, add a bit for good ondition. You'll see ones addvertised for as low as £400.

Remmeber to factor in the cost of getting it crack tested (which should show up porosity). This costs arround £100 (inc var).

If its been ground more than 10 thou, it may need nitriding.

Buyer beware!

Or you could just go and buy a new one, and have piece of mind!

Greg, Q 880 RAE (Green/Ali XF)

Neither at the moment, but I am costing up a new engine that may go in in the next 24 months, and if I sell my 12 bolt Steel crank and rods it will appear here. Its nice to know that although the cross-flow is considered 'old-hat' by many that there is still a healthy market for secondhand race engine parts

When I converted from a X/Flow to a BD I utilised the crank, rods (5.23 inch), flywheel, clutch and dry sump (Could have also used the AX block but went the 2lt ali block route instead). Often advertising bits as BD parts (but also available for X/Flow) gets more interest and return !!

• 2 weeks later...