Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A Question for Alex Wong

I.Mupferit

I'm very happy with the gearbox which has been totally problem free now that it's run in. It did pop out of first if you down shifted hard into it but this has settled now (and it's not something I'd ever need to do except when playing with a new gearbox!)

The ratios are just right and although it does whine a bit, particularly on over run, it's not a harsh intrusive noise like a straight cut box. It's also nowhere near as loud as a straight cut box. I actually quite like the noise it makes.

I'd definitely recommend it. First is a bit high if you're using large wheels but with my 13 & 14 inch wheels, it's no problem. With the thirteen inch wheels and 50 profile tyres, on the track, it's a perfect setup.

Mine has bronze synchro rings which give a nicer change but is less durable than using steel synchro rings. It's more than up to what I use the car for though.

I'd get the Quaiffe quickshift lever whilst you're at it. It really makes a difference.

Alex Wong

alex.wong@lotus7club.co.uk

www.alexwong.net

Home : 44-(0)121-440 6972

Fax : 44-(0)121-440 4601

Alex, many thanks for your reply. I've spoken to SPC now (very helpful) and settled any doubts I had regarding the relative merits of 5 speed-v-6 speed. Did you have the quickshift from the start or was it a retro-fit? I only intend to use mine for the occasional trackday, apart from usual road use, so probably won't be changing cogs too frantically most of the time. Does the quickshift require much increased effort in use? Thanks

Brent

I added the quickshift about a week after changing the box. The semi-helical has a identical throw to the standard 5 speed. With the quickshift, the distance side to side between the gates is reduced but the throw doesn't change much. 2nd to 3rd and back is much easier. It is icing on the cake I suppose. Certainly not essential. I haven't noticed any increased effort in shifting although logically there should be. Actually, it's now much easier to shift across gates which I guess is what it's for.

It's a bugger to fit though. The standard lever just drops in. I had to use a hammer to get the quickshift lever to slot into place. The metal sleeve designed to fit snugly into the hole in the box for the lever is just a tiny bit too snug!

It also has a thinner stick so you may need to change the gearknob as well or just thicken it with gaffa tape, which is what I did.

Alex Wong

alex.wong@lotus7club.co.uk

www.alexwong.net

Home : 44-(0)121-440 6972

Fax : 44-(0)121-440 4601