Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Mirrors

Steve T

Before i place my order for my new SPA mirrors, what is the general view on flat versus convex for the 2 side mirrors ?

Probably will go for the Saloon/GT 100cm sq. type.

I understand about the wider field of view with convex but what is the preference of most drivers ? assuming mounted on Nifty's new mirror mounts on the windscreen.

Thanks

Steve

700 miles so far and counting !

I went for convex for the greater field of vision.

I have these fitted to my sidescreens in the GTLe Mans size and I am happy with them.

I did find that the plastic body faded after a couple of years though, so I had to paint them.

I've got the Formula mirrors, the really ickle ones, and with those convex is definitely the way forward. I reckon they suit the size of the car rather better too.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

see here

I had a bit of a debate with myself on Nifty's thread.

I reckon the wide angle is the way to go. I would like tiny race mirrors, but, as they are there to show me what's on my six at a glance, I wouldn't like to miss the "Bogey" (Top Gun) 'cos it was too small to see.

I started with Formulas and went to Saloons - both convex. The Formulas were just too dinky to give good vision - the Saloons are much, much better without looking odd (as in oddly-large).

GT center - flat. But I know a number of people prefer the convex there too...

Do give some thought to ordering different stem heights (unless you're getting them for the removable screen fixings (Nifty?))

Some early pics of the car with various configurations here

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Myles,

Your stems were a one off weren't they.

SPA did mention them to me.

Personally I'm quite happy with the standard stem on the windscreen since it is positioned wider and higher than an aeroscreen in the first place.

Like Susser, I can't see the point in having a wing mirror that doesn't give you a decent field of view.

It's horses for courses really.

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Mine has flat mirrors by Harley Davidson... *eek*

These are chrome and have 'Harley Davidson' on the stems which are drilled into the windscreen surround... I DONT recomend these at all... they are in the way of the sidescreens and whilst theyve been well fitted I dont like them.... may have looked great in the mid 90s but not ideal these days... *confused*

Edited by - JonW on 3 May 2006 14:31:00

• 6 months later...

Sorry Terry .. we needed to make a new batch of brackets and sort a couple of other things out.

These have actually been done for a while now but due to the pressures of work and life I haven't got any further.

I will probably go slack out in the fields within a fortnight and then I'll crack on with sorting any more orders.

Just at the moment I'm slightly more concerned with the 200 acres of oilseed rape that appear to have got frost scorch after being sprayed.

At £150 a tonne that equates to around £55,000 *thumbdown* *thumbdown*

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬